Please help a noob out!! ( ATH M50 vs Ultrasone HFi 580 vs Ultrasone Pro 550/650)
Mar 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #16 of 29
Yeah, I'm not really expecting the 580s to be all that comfortable. I won't use them for more than 3 or 2 hours at a time though. If the comfort is just unbearable for me, I'll get replacement set of pads.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
Do you have a link to the new version of the 580s??

Where do you live? In Germany the old version can not be found anywhere now. The retailers didn't update the information on their website when i bought my pair but when i emailed and asked them, they said that they only have the new version stored at the moment. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:
Have you also considered comfort from an on-ear vs. over-ear perspective.   Keep in mind. the AT ATH-M50 is an on-ear variety.  I know when it comes to my preference, I have little tolerance with the on-ear models because my ears tend to tire of them easily due to the pressure they apply on the ear.  Having the pad go around the ear, can mean for longer listening sessions.

To the individual who is considering the K167, I had a pair for about a week.  The pads softened up too quick and by the end of the week, my ears were literally resting on the actual speaker baffle.  I tried some small pieces of foam to push out the ear cushions a bit, but then the bass response really died off quick.  About 2 months later, I ran into a pair of the K67, so I picked them up.  Again, with that pair, having the on-ear fit, finally was the deciding factor for me that I'd never purchase another pair of on-ear headphones due to comfort issues.  It just isn't worth it from a comfort point of view.  Your views might be different, but I thought I'd toss out some observations to include in your analysis.

Best of luck !

Great post, I didn't realize the M50 was on ear. Yup, not getting that anymore haha. I currently have a pair of very modest Panasonic Dj600s and I cannot stand how they press down on my ears when I wear them. I will never buy a pair of on ear headphones again.

But about the K167s how did they sound though? The youtube "review" said they sounded "terrible" which I really find hard to believe. Are the Ultrasones on ear or over ear?

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 29
http://shopworld.ultrasone.com/us/product.php?id_product=17

The Ultrasone shop in USA has the new version but it is way more expensive than on amazon. Send amazon an email and ask them about the cord length, you'll surely get the answer quickly. Believe me, at 119$ you cannot go wrong with the HFI-580.

But warning: you have to be very patient with these cans! They are quite wild out of the box.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
 Great post, I didn't realize the M50 was on ear. Yup, not getting that anymore haha. I currently have a pair of very modest Panasonic Dj600s and I cannot stand how they press down on my ears when I wear them. I will never buy a pair of on ear headphones again.

But about the K167s how did they sound though? The youtube "review" said they sounded "terrible" which I really find hard to believe. Are the Ultrasones on ear or over ear?

Initially, I loved the K167.  Very, very good bass.  However, as they started to get more use towards the end of that first week, the highs became quite piercing.  I can handle headphones with a good amount of detail, but what my ears experienced was a bit more than acceptable for my use.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Initially, I loved the K167.  Very, very good bass.  However, as they started to get more use towards the end of that first week, the highs became quite piercing.  I can handle headphones with a good amount of detail, but what my ears experienced was a bit more than acceptable for my use.

That does sound pretty bad, let's see what happens when i get them :p

And great deal ritz! amazon is amazing. I got my K167s for 144$ when they're retailing for 199$ everywhere else.

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #25 of 29
Haha thanks! I'll see how well the 580s suit me when they're here. Hope you like your new headphones too!    
beerchug.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #27 of 29
You guys are lucky.  The HFI-580 for $110 is definitely a steal.  I bought my HFI-580 like 3 years ago for $150 US. 

I actually tested the HFI 580, 550/650, and ATH M50.  I stuck with the HFI 580 because it was more fun.  It took about 70 hours of straight burning in, but it was well worth it.  To this day, I still use it for casual listening at home or when I'm producing, although I'm shopping for some open ear headphones right now.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

I own the Audio Technica ATH-M50s and they are definitely an over the ear headphone. Maybe I missed something in the discussion, but for sure the ATH-M50s are over the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back