please give me some advice
Jun 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #16 of 25
PC-->USB>HRT Streamer II-->Matrix M Stage what about this, it is another person's advice...now i am a little confuse....and i see many people say if k701 wants get good voice, the system at least need cost 2000 dollars

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #19 of 25
PC-->USB>HRT Streamer II-->Matrix M Stage what about this, it is another person's advice...now i am a little confuse....and i see many people say if k701 wants get good voice, the system at least need cost 2000 dollars

Two things to know:

1) If you have enough money, there's almost always something better you can buy to get a little better sound.
2) However, there are diminishing rates of return by spending more money. If you compared a good DAC/amp setup for $100 vs. one for $300 vs. $1000, you would likely find that you get a lot more improvement going from $100 to $300 than from $300 to $1000. So spending all of your money may not give you a very good return on that investment.

Since you are a freshman in college, I would suggest NOT spending $1000 on a dac/amp. Get yourself a good pair of IEMs or earbuds if you don't have some already for using your iPod on the go. Save your money for other fun things to do.

Finally, see this as a hobby or journey. A $300 setup would be a good setup that later on you could build on. No need to try to do it all at once. Moreover, you might be better off investing much of the rest of your budget in better quality headphones instead of a fortune on electronics. That's where one tends to get the best sound quality gains for their investment.

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #21 of 25
Well, thanks :)

Someone at a head-fi meet tried my ODAC and he thought it was a little better than his Music Streamer II, but I don't know. I don't have any experience with the M-Stage. Both the O2 and M-Stage are considered very transparent solid state amps, so likely they are comparable. But that's just a guess.

Best bet is to google for some comparisons, like http://www.head-fi.org/t/592977/objective-2-vs-matrix-m-stage
https://www.google.com/search?q=odac+vs+music+streamer+ii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back