please give me some advice
Jun 8, 2013 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

New Head-Fier
I am a Chinese student. I have a akg k701, please give me some advice about how to make a good system. I just have 2000 dollars, so please don't make it too expensive. I also have an ipod classic 160gb and an ath ad900 headphones. thanks for your reply.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:
I am a Chinese student. I have a akg k701, please give me some advice about how to make a good system. I just have 2000 dollars, so please don't make it too expensive. I also have an ipod classic 160gb and an ath ad900 headphones. thanks for your reply.

You'll have to tell us what kind of system you are looking to build and what specific components you envision as being part of it.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:
i just want my k701 can have good voice, so any kind of system is ok. i'm a freshman, so i don't know

But you do know if your are listening to music from computer files, CD's and/or vinyl (for example) and you know about the equipment in your current chain that ends in the headphones.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 25
i don't understand what you mean

Do you only listen to your headphones out of your iPod? What other device(s) do you use other than your iPod? Do you need your setup to be portable? Any restrictions on how/where you can buy? What kind (genres) of music do you listen to? Will you be playing computer games, and how important is that? What kind of source media (CDs, poor quality MP3s, good quality MP3s) do you have? Etc.

Write a lot more and be more descriptive of what you have and what you want and why you feel you need an upgrade. The more information you can give us, the better we can help you :)

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 25
Example : My 'chain' i am listening at the moment is

Player : colorfly c4 - headphone amplifier : cayin ha-1a - headphone : hd800

Setup - i listen both at home and on business trips - so need mainly portable devices

Genres - classics - jazz - techno - music of the middle age - pop

Source media - cd, hq mp3 ,wav, lossless

Gaming - no, i don't play games i need a headphone for

Sound - i like a tranparent analytical sound with linear, but deep bass extension

I love my akg701 sound, because ....

I miss - ... bass extension, depth of soundstage, ....

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 25
player             ipod classic 160gb
headphone     k701 and ad900
setup              at home
Genres          all kinds of music but i think acg and bgm are more
Source media       mp3   wav
Gaming      no

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 25
The Objective 2 (O2) amplifier and ODAC might be a good choice for you. Small enough that it is very transportable. I would recommend getting the separate units instead of the combined all-in-one. You can use the O2 by itself with your ipod, and then use the ODAC and O2 with your computer. And if you ever want to try a different headphone amp, such as a tube amp, you can plug it into the ODAC.

Here is a long discussion thread of them if you would like to learn more: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616331/o2-amp-odac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back