Please give me advice, details inside.
Dec 17, 2008 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nivlek

Head-Fier
Hi all, I am new to this forum, found tons of info about headphones here and Im enjoying reading it. I have both logitech z5500 and audioengine A5 speakers with creative xfi cards on htpc and main comp in a condo, I have no knowledge on describing sounds but I am enjoying the output on both of them, I can hear the difference but don't know how to describe in words.

After getting complained by neighbors about my loud volume (trust me its not loud, just medium high I think), I decided to go with headphones, I only own the Bose all around headphones before, and they sound great I think, but after I got the Shure SE530 I can hear the difference, and I like it more than the bose. Then I switched from the ipod to cowon d2 and was impressed about the sound quality. The reason I am giving my reference is because I hope someone can give me advice on which headphone I should purchase.

I am looking at the ATH-AD700 and the AKG 701 right now for home use, not sure which one I should get because Im not sure if the price worths the difference that I can hear. I have read the 701 needs amps, actually I just ordered the ibasso d2 for my laptop using the se530 for work, I guess I can use that on the 701 also if Im getting them?

And lastly I listen to pop, rock and hiphop.

Thanks for reading, and hope someone can help!

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nivlek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking at the ATH-AD700 and the AKG 701 right now for home use, not sure which one I should get because Im not sure if the price worths the difference that I can hear. I have read the 701 needs amps, actually I just ordered the ibasso d2 for my laptop using the se530 for work, I guess I can use that on the 701 also if Im getting them?

No you can't, the K701 is one of the hardest phones to drive and you're going to need a good desktop amp. If you are a n00b just stay away from the K701, not only is it difficult to drive its flat, cold, analytical sound is something that wouldn't appeal to everyone. The AD700 would be a safer choice.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 11
The 701 cannot be driven by a D2, or any portable that I have heard, for that matter.

What kind of music do you like? It matters a lot for phones because they have vastly differing sound signatures.

Also, x2 for budget.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No you can't, the K701 is one of the hardest phones to drive and you're going to need a good desktop amp. If you are a n00b just stay away from the K701, not only is it difficult to drive its flat, cold, analytical sound is something that wouldn't appeal to everyone. The AD700 would be a safer choice.

thanks for the fast reply, this forum rocks!

if I use the 701 with my xfi sound card will that sound good? please excuse if I am asking stupid questions. I didnt plan to get a desktop amp now after buying the ibasso d2. I guess now I will need some cans that sound good with my xfi card or d2?

for budget on the headphones I don't want to spend anything more expensive than the 701.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 701 cannot be driven by a D2, or any portable that I have heard, for that matter.

What kind of music do you like? It matters a lot for phones because they have vastly differing sound signatures.

Also, x2 for budget.

Does "cannot be driven" mean its not compatible at all which makes the output weird? or you wont get the full potential out of the headphone?

I listen to all kinds of music, mostly pop, rock and hip hop r&b etc... I just don't enjoy metal, trance.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nivlek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does "cannot be driven" mean its not compatible at all which makes the output weird? or you wont get the full potential out of the headphone?

I listen to all kinds of music, mostly pop, rock and hip hop r&b etc... I just don't enjoy metal, trance.

Cannot be driven means that unless you provide the K701 with a certain amount of power they're going to sound terrible. I haven't heard them with the XFi before, but generally it isn't that good a sound card, at least not without modding, so I'll be surprised if the K701 sounds good on it.

What you need to know is that the K701 is notorious for having very little bass. So if you want to get a decent amount of bass from it you're going to need to get a good amp that can add a bit of warmth in it. I really don't think using the K701 for hip hop is a good idea, and probably not for rock too. Like I said, the K701 is not a n00b friendly phone, it has a very distinctive and unique sound signature, massive soundstage, very airy, bright, neutral, transparent, little bass. And many people will find the K701 to be a bit boring, while others will swear by it. So unless you are certain that the K701 is what you are looking for I wouldn't recommend you to get them.

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 11
ok thanks for your input, I guess 701 is too advance for me then. I think I will try the ad700 first and see if I will like it.

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 11
Well you have to be aware that the AD700 is also pretty well known for being bass shy.
I know it since I have one....
and the K701 aswell.
For your music, I reckon you would be better off looking elsewhere.

Maybe the DT770. However I can't stand by that recommendation since I have never heard them. Maybe someone more informed on these phones can chime in.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 11
In my book pop, rock and hiphop spells only one thing.... GRADO. Read up on the different models. The SR225 or SR325i might be right up your alley. Grados are also very low impedence which means you could drive them with just about anything (even a sound card) and they'd sound ok until you can get an amplifier.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 11
Power requirements aside, I don't think you'd much like the K-701 for pop, rock and hiphop. It's geared towards more of an acoustic sound. If you listened to classical or jazz recorded in night clubs, then it would be a better match.

The good news is that a pair of Grados would suit your tastes just fine and don't need much attention to amplification. I run mine straight from an iPod. They like tube amps quite a bit, but you can still use and enjoy them without one. For your budget, look for a SR-225. Also, I think I've seen some used Alessandro MS-2i pairs for sale here. Alessandro headphones are made by Grado for them, so you'll see people here group them with Grados.

Anyhow, go pull up some threads on Grado with pop, rock and hiphop listeners. You'll see how well loved they are by their owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back