Please explain Directional Cables
Jun 14, 2008 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gallardo88

100+ Head-Fier
As the title states, if someone could explain how directional cables work and how are they different to "normal" cables.
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 11
Most cables marked 'directional' have a ground added at the 'starting' end. This helps with noise which can be transferred through the cable.

Also, some people believe that you should always run the cables in the same direction, since the electrons 'burn' a path in that direction. They say that if you reverse the cables, you need to re-burn-in the cable.

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most cables marked 'directional' have a ground added at the 'starting' end. This helps with noise which can be transferred through the cable.

Also, some people believe that you should always run the cables in the same direction, since the electrons 'burn' a path in that direction. They say that if you reverse the cables, you need to re-burn-in the cable.

That is essentially right. If you want to read a reasonably good "whitepaper" well, okay marketing piece, on the topic, take a look at a couple of the PDF files on the Audioquest cables website.

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 11
"Most cables marked 'directional' have a ground added at the 'starting' end"

So there's 2 grounds?

And on audioquest's website, the explanation for directional cables is that whatever conductor you are using sounds better when used one way, while it seems like the "added ground" theory doesn't have much to do with the orientation of the cable, correct?

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gallardo88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Most cables marked 'directional' have a ground added at the 'starting' end"

So there's 2 grounds?

And on audioquest's website, the explanation for directional cables is that whatever conductor you are using sounds better when used one way, while it seems like the "added ground" theory doesn't have much to do with the orientation of the cable, correct?

What he means is the shield (sometimes called ground) is only connected to the - at the "source" end of the cable. The other end is left unconnected, or "floating".

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 11
What Todd R said. Most 'normal' cables, in the case of RCA-type, have the shield and conductor connected at both ends. Directional cables have the shield connected only at one end. Because the shield is not connected to both pieces of equipment, there is no possibility for a ground loop to happen at that linkage. People have varying opinions about whether or not this is a good idea.

About electron 'burn-in'... Audio is AC, so electrons are constantly flowing in both directions. The conductor portion of the cable is not directional, thus there is no such thing as having to re-burn-in a cable.

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What Todd R said. Most 'normal' cables, in the case of RCA-type, have the shield and conductor connected at both ends. Directional cables have the shield connected only at one end. Because the shield is not connected to both pieces of equipment, there is no possibility for a ground loop to happen at that linkage. People have varying opinions about whether or not this is a good idea.

About electron 'burn-in'... Audio is AC, so electrons are constantly flowing in both directions. The conductor portion of the cable is not directional, thus there is no such thing as having to re-burn-in a cable.

This is the second time I think I have seen you say this. If the
  1. ground conductor is connected at both ends of the cable, but the
  2. shield is only connected at one end,
do you mind telling me how this would have any effect whatsoever on ground loops?

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 11
Pars, sorry about the confusion, I should have elaborated. What infinitesymphony is saying is that the ground, which is shield in this case, is left disconnected purposely. Remember, we're talking unbalanced audio here. As previously mentioned, this eliminates the possibility of a ground loop problem between the two components.

The case of a 'floating ground' is a long one, and I bet the search function on any audio discussion board would yield interesting stuff.

Regarding IC burn-in, I do agree that it is a load of b/s, since AC flows in both directions anyway.

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 11
Yes, I was talking about instances where the shield is acting as / carrying ground, as in the single-conductor cables often used for RCA interconnects. In a multi-conductor cable with an actual ground drain wire (ex. many XLR cables), it would mean only connecting the ground drain wire on one side. Does this clear up my meaning?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 11
i'm surprised at how little consensus there seems to be with regards to cable shielding.

it's my understanding that assuming there is a grounded conductor, that tying the shield to ground on one side only will drain rf interference and noise to the source side, preventing it from being amplified on the other end. yet most cable makers do not incorporate this kind of shielding.

on the flipside, tying the shield on both ends, while i'm not convinced it can cause ground loops -- again assuming there is already a grounded conductor -- *can cause an intense magnetic field which may introduce other problems (i'm not too sure how this manifests itself).

my suspicion is that unless you are using these cables in a very noisy environment such as a studio or computer lab, both directional and non-directional cables should work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back