Please dont laugh! :)
Nov 10, 2006 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

choomanchoo

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok so here it goes, I've been deliberating as to whether or not to ask this next question, First of all, I ask for honest and if needed critical answers/ advices. My girlfriend is planning to buy me a set of headhones for Christmas (Yes, in Hawaii we still call it Christmas), And please excuse the lack of proper Head-phi lingo, After some extensive research and site after site of info, I've narrowed it down to the Grado's sr325i, I know it's not the top high-end version, but it seems that it would be an ok to good choice for me, hopefuly nobody is laughing yet., So here it it is the Final question, As always money is tight, but i figured Id better get an amp to somewhat acompany the headhones to give me a slight to moderate upgrade, any one have advice or suggestions for a sub$100 amp? ( oh great i can hear you laughing already) ,

Aloha,

p.s. I have a really bad habit of making my questions really long and full of info no one would realy care to hear, but I see a head doctor for that every month.

p.s.s. sorry

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 17
Your girlfriend buys you $250 headphones? What a lucky guy!
biggrin.gif

I personally would opt around the steely SR325i and instead purchase the more well rounded SR225. With the money saved, I would purchase a used Corda H5. I heard this set-up earlier this year and it really was a stunning combo for the price. With HF-1 popularity currently at a low, I would also try ask around for a pair before the prices start to rise again.

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 17
Your girlfriend is awesome. And the SR-325i is a good headphone, too.

Keep an eye on used Musical Fidelity X-Cans. I've seen them go for close to $100 lately, and they're a good amp. Also, you should be able to find a used or NOS Creek OBH-11 around $100. I had one for awhile. It's not the best amp out there, but it's not that bad, either. I thoroughly enjoyed mine until I built the Dynalo to replace it. My brother-in-law has it now and is pretty happy with it.

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 17
Congratulations. The SR325i are really good phones.
You would be surprised how good the SR325i will sound out of the cheapest amp you can get: PA2V2. I have used this combo for some time as a computer setup and it is very good indeed. The slightly warm sound of the PA2V2 is very good for the SR325i which are a bit accentuated in the highs (not in a bad way, but some people like it more than others). The build quality is perfect and so is Gary's service. For the money this is (in my opinion and experience of course) definitely the best amp there is for your SR325i.

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 17
Congratulations on the gift from your girlfriend. If you are looking for a portable amp the PA2V2 at $60 is an excellent amp for Grado's.

If you are looking for a home amp they I would suggest an used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2.

If you are looking for a dual duty at the $100 range then the Go-Vibe 5 and an external power supply would fit the bill fine. Good luck.

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 17
this is just IMO, so take it as that. But get 225s and then use the extra money to get a used amp off the forum here. I would think that you could maby nab a millett or something for around $150. If you could find some 225s used then you could get an amp of the same level pretty easily.
-greg

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 17
The PA2V2,at 60$ shipped,would make a great companion for a 325i as it'll give the warmth that the 325i needs. It'll make things a bit more musical and also if you have some marginally recorded songs(think B sides and demos..)it'll help take some of the harshness out of them. That and as a ton of people have said Gary is an absolute star example of customer service!

Nov 11, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 17
I'll take a different approach to other here. They seem to be recommending buying a cheaper headphone and more expensive amp. I'd say that with grados amp isn't all too important, and would possibly be tempted to upgrade!

But they are all recommending 225 as the "downgrade" and i understand that some (many? i'm not sure) people prefer the 225 over the 325

Is the amp that you're looking for for portable use or for home use?

I hope you enjoy your purchase(s). I have the nearly-identicle-twin brother of the 323 (the alessandro ms2) and its a great headphone, especially if you like to rock

Nov 11, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #11 of 17
I'll add my voice to the preference for the SR225 (with Senn HD414 pads), and a superb amp for synergy with them is a Go-Vibe V5 with the Elpac 24v power supply recommended by the amp's designer and builder. The SR225 will sound really fine without an amp from even a modest portable source, AND they really improve with the amp. These days, modestly priced gear is available that REALLY sounds GOOD. Given the recommendations that have been made so far (all fine ones), just HOW good it sounds to you will depend on your personal musical tastes and sonic preferences.

Nov 11, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 17
Sounds like you have enough advice, I don't need to pipe in. I just hope next time you'll feel more comfortable asking a question and won't think we'll laugh.

For the record, your questions weren't even close to the dumbest here, and I don't think they were laughable.

Welcome to the forums!
biggrin.gif
(Sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 11, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
Sounds like you have enough advice, I don't need to pipe in. I just hope next time you'll feel more comfortable asking a question and won't think we'll laugh.

For the record, your questions weren't even close to the dumbest here, and I don't think they were laughable.

Welcome to the forums!
biggrin.gif
(Sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

x2

The SR325i are great, but I think you'd probably need some warm sounding front-end to offset/tame the highs. I can stand the "piercing highs" (I don't actually think they're piercing at all!), but a lot of people can't. The HF-1 do sound more balanced and most people prefer the HF-1 to the SR225/SR325i. However, I guess the HF-1 is slightly more expensive at $300-400 whereas the SR225 (apparently quite similar to the HF-1) can be had for a huge chunk under $200. Then, you need to get yourself some HD414, TTVJ flats and the stock bowls and do some "pad-rolling"
biggrin.gif

It's all in the name of good sound. Enjoy your stay!

Nov 11, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #14 of 17
Wow, First of all I'd like to thanks all of yous,
blink.gif
,, Some really great advice, I will definatley look into the forementioned items, Dont stop now! keep em comin!, , oh and 90% of usage would probably be moving around,(as in not sitting in one place for to long).

Aloha,

Nov 11, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #15 of 17
For portable you should look into a Go-Vibe V5 or a mini_3fied PINT (MisterX seems to be offering a PINT replacement though, so you might want to check that out). The PINT is a DIY amp, and the boards are no longer in production, so you'll have to wait for someone to sell theirs in the marketplace or check out MisterX's replacement amp. I've heard VERY good things about the PINT and the Go-Vibe V5 (Mainly the PINT though) and I plan to pick up one of these when I get my MS2i's (Similar to the 325i).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back