Please do not hurt me ( New Help )
Aug 20, 2008 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Anax

New Head-Fier
*Edited my top half*
biggrin.gif

Anyway , here is the deal I mostly play games my music is reserved for my car . I do use programs like vent / skype etc . Here are my options I WOULD LIKE to save money but do not have to .

I am pretty sure I will be buying an Omega HT sound card ( using an abit ip35 pro at the moment which has realteks hd audio ) , I dislike creatives drivers and everyone who has recommended the juli@ emu 12 12 etc says they are fantastic for music but avoid them for gaming.

If you prefer a 2.1 or bookshelf setup I am always willing to listen , I just need to make sure when I am talking the background noise does not mess with the mic to much. All the amps for the setup like this are big or I am unable to find them ( like the toshiba m15 ).

Headphones , I need comfy . I have read on HD650's DT 770 AKG701 and all the other ones which are always debated or talked about . As for sound ? I am just sick of buying headphones which are horribly muffled . I think the only decent set I had ever bought for the computer was some set of HK's or Sonys which stopped working after I had chewed through the cord. Not to mention they were together with duct tape.

I prefer closed back, My computer is loud , My room mates are louder . ( mcintosh mx132 and full b & w set , They also grouped up to buy a hd dvd player .. hence why I am not asking them for advice in this matter ) You have not experienced the true power of a home theater set up until you have seen it used to play Milo and Otis or the brave little toaster full blast.

As for an amp , am I going to see gains using a DAC ? .. or for gaming will something like a cmoy do just fine .. Or is an amp even needed.

I am crap clueless no matter how much I "search" sometimes I wonder if I should just buy one of Sennheiser's gaming headsets with a mic and call it a day.

Anyway my budget excluding the soundcard is about 700 , I am however just looking for the best for the price . After all I am just listening to pre recorded rendered sounds which probably came from doom 2 but some how they managed to make it sound like magic fireballs or a dragon.

( I play tf 2 , warhammer online . I am waiting for Alan wake to come out. )

Thanks a bunch guys , sorry if any of this seems rude I am just upset at the fact I have been searching all day to make a choice and I cant. My money is in your hands.

Aug 20, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 2
First and fore-most, buy everything used (and probably on this forum) if you want a good deal!
smily_headphones1.gif
Follow my advice and you'll have your setup built with money to spare.

Sound Card / DAC
Most believe that the source is very VERY important and I would have to agree to an extent. I just recently bought an ESI Juli@ and also like to use my PC for games. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to try it yet with this card as I only installed it last night, but I can definitely say it sounds wonderful for music. I also have a Prodigy HD2 at work and it also sounds great, especially when you can tinker with the opamps.

"Gaming" cards vs non-gaming cards, I never bothered with it much. Your CPU and video card are responsible for 95% of the performance in games and worrying about spending more/less on a sound card is just foolish, in my opinion. I have been using a USB DAC for gaming for years and have no problems with it except for one game - Quake4 which for some stupid reason requires OpenAL.

I would recommend using a soundcard for your situation.

EDIT: I had a chance to play CounterStrike:Source yesterday on this card, all is well.

Amplifier
Since you're going to be using this at home and not on the road, go with a stationary "home-based" amp. I would highly recommend going with a used DIY-design amp from the FS forum, best bang/buck, no argument. Especially look for a less popular design like the Pimeta (great amp, cheap as hell for what it can do) ~120-$150, Dynalo ~$200, PPAv2 ~$250-$300 - maybe a Millet MAX or SOHA+JISBOS if you want a tube hybrid. Both are great designs around the $250-$300 range depending on quality.

Headphones
These you'll really have to pick. What are you looking for in them? What kind of sound signature? Huge bass? Tight bass? Crystal clear detail? Liquid midrange?

For gaming, lots recommend the Audio Technica ATH-A900 and the BeyerDynamic DT770Pro / 80Ohm - both around $120 +/- a bit depending on condition. I use and really like the Denon D2000/D5000 for gaming.

Cables
I am a firm believer in signal cables and my setup is built accordingly. I don't go overboard with power cables and don't plan to until I build a balanced power supply. For signal cables though, I like to use high-quality cables at a decent price (no Jena cables for me). Again, check the FS threads, look for nice quality DIY cables using Mogami 2534 (one of my favorites - cheap and good), SPC (Silver Plated Copper), or brand-named BJC (BlueJeansCables) - also very good bang/buck.

Good luck with your search, this setup will not cost way too much and will sound damn good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back