Please compare SQ of iphone4 to the latest ipod classic
Nov 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #16 of 21
Sure update will be here , sorry time has been an issue this week but will update soon enough

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 21
Ok folks,

Sorry for the long delay, but job keeps me busy like hell these days.

After flirting around with my new 160gb classic, I now have some info on the current SQ. First of all I like to remind you that I no longer have my 120gb Classic to do a 1on1 comparison with it. Insted, I will use my current X series walkman for comparison. First thing I have noticed when I first plugged in to the 2010(august of 2010 production date, according to its serial number) 160 Gb Classic(which I will just call it classic from now on) was how naturel and non-colored the classic sounded. After apllying "rock" eq setting from the menu things got a little better. Like I mentioned couple of posts back, classic really suffers from a "mid hump", which is not a bad thing at all.It puts the guitar sounds more forward than usual. Therefore it sounds barkier than my X series Sony. As you all now by now, the standard EQ settings on this thing is a no go, so I won't mention them. Without an external amp the sound levels are more than enough with my IE8s. When amped with Fiio E7 though yo are in a whole different ball park with the classic. Both low and high end get a really good pump from amping...yeah!! classic really shines when you amp it thurough LOD. Especially when and If you like listening to rock, metal, classic rock genres, the classic puts out a better signature than Sony X series...at least to my humble 40 yrs old ears...

If you were to ask me which sounds better, classic or Sony X series.....sorry...I have no definitive answer to that question. The answer complicated.....Sony Definately sound puchier and richer on both low and high end sounds, but the naturality of the classic is still missing in the chain. Thats why I can not let any of these 2 players go, they both have their  - and +s..

One more thing I've noticed while listening to classic was that it had less leak with my IE8s, what I mean by that is;  IE8s sounded more isolated from outside noises....yeah maybe stupid but thats how I experienced ...

What I Like

- Size, size, and size baby 160 GB is huge..
- The software (solid as rock)
- The naturality of its sound signature(meaning not colored, or overprocessed sounding)
- What a beast it bocomes when you Amp. it
- Excellent built Quality and stylish....(ahahahah...no point though, especially in this Sound oriented forum)

What I Dislike

- Put the damn manuel EQ in, Apple..makes a huge difference
- Needs a built in radio
- Needs more punch in the bass and more sparkle in the treble through HP out.
- Need to be careful not to drop it
- Still can't convince me that it sounds any closer to my Sony....but like I said they both have thier issues..

Will add and substract to the list as my listening experience with the classic grows..

Well, thas it for now folks...take care.

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #18 of 21
Thanks a lot for taking the time to post your findings on the latest Classic. I have it as well and when i amp it (iBasso T3) it really takes flight above almost any HP out there (Aside from the iPhone 3GS HP which i find to be a marvel of engineering).

The Classic HP out is very good but you can sense that the amp inside is not the beast of an amp that the 3GS one is.

Nov 25, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 21
Funny how sound is so subjective, I've always found the iPod's to sound very muddy and poor while the Cowon J3 sounds so much more natural to me 
dt880smile.png

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #20 of 21
@Daanish

Man last cowon İ had was d2 and that thing sounded so much overprocessed and colored that İ had to return it for a full refund. But İ have no idea how the s9 and the new j3 sounds, İ am sure though they sould sound better than d2s since a lot of people love it. Some day
İ will give cowon another chance but not today....:D

Nov 25, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #21 of 21
To each his own 
biggrin.gif
 It's all about enjoying the music at the end of the day !!

Quote:
@Daanish

Man last cowon İ had was d2 and that thing sounded so much overprocessed and colored that İ had to return it for a full refund. But İ have no idea how the s9 and the new j3 sounds, İ am sure though they sould sound better than d2s since a lot of people love it. Some day
İ will give cowon another chance but not today....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back