Please compare SQ of iphone4 to the latest ipod classic
Nov 9, 2010 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Firefighter

Head-Fier
Hi,

Being an avid and a very very satisfied user of my X1050, I'm in the need of a second player with large capacity. I'm not favoring Cowons since their sound signature is too colored and processed for me.

I've used the previous model of ipod classic(120gb), i was satisfied with its very natural sound signature but had to sell it couple of months back for simply financial purposes. Now that I can afford a larger player now, I'm again thinking of the good old classic. Reading posts here about how the SQ improved over 120gb model, now I'm itching to buy it.

I'm also using iphone4 for gsm purposes, I can't say that I'm fully satisfied with its SQ but it is not too unbearbly bad either.

So that takes us to the question of if the new 160gb classic sounds any familiar to new iphone4? My reason for asking is simply because I have the iphone 4 right now to at least understand the SQ of current apple product.

I used to use my previous 120gb with LOD through fiio and was very pleased with the result, so new ipod will also be used this way.

Your opinions are wellcome....

My best regards.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 21
S-flo2 has 3.5mm line-out, Micro SD card and 16GB S-flo2 + 32GB Micro SD card (48GB). It's sound amazing with quality external AMPs help.

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 21
The S:Flo2 wasn't asked about, and not everyone want's one.

As for the SQ of the 160gb classic, I like it better than my coworkers iPhone 4. The SQ is clean, the EQ presets actually sound good, and it's got good power for all my cans (I personally don't use an amp - but the LOD on either is a huge bonus). I find that it sounds better than the 120gb classic, YMMV.

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 21
@Zarim

I have no intention to buy anything other than ipod classic but thanks for the info.

I was just curious if the new classic sounded anything close to iphone 4...so far from the responses, it does I suppose..

More opinions expected...

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 21
Do NOT get the newest generation class
Ic. I got it about 3 weeks ago and took it right back the same week; the sound quality is horrible and you can plai nay just.... Hear how bad the player is. I was using it unamped with my Shure 535s and I hated it. All of my music is in 320kbs. The iPad and 4G iPod touch walk all over it in terms of sound quality.

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 21
Like they say "to each their own", as I find the sq of the new iPod 7G to be better than the 120gb 6G. I actually prefer it w/my HFI-780's than with a touch or iPhone. The latter 2 will sound slightly better, maybe, but the low output volume really kills it for using them without an amp. LOD>amp>HP they all sound equal.

Saying the iPod 7G sounds horrible is your opinion, and the OP might find the sq totally different. Me, I was totally surprised,...I sold my Cowon J3. That should say something about my experience w/the ipod 7G.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
Hi,

Being an avid and a very very satisfied user of my X1050, I'm in the need of a second player with large capacity. I'm not favoring Cowons since their sound signature is too colored and processed for me.

I've used the previous model of ipod classic(120gb), i was satisfied with its very natural sound signature but had to sell it couple of months back for simply financial purposes. Now that I can afford a larger player now, I'm again thinking of the good old classic. Reading posts here about how the SQ improved over 120gb model, now I'm itching to buy it.

I'm also using iphone4 for gsm purposes, I can't say that I'm fully satisfied with its SQ but it is not too unbearbly bad either.

So that takes us to the question of if the new 160gb classic sounds any familiar to new iphone4? My reason for asking is simply because I have the iphone 4 right now to at least understand the SQ of current apple product.

I used to use my previous 120gb with LOD through fiio and was very pleased with the result, so new ipod will also be used this way.

Your opinions are wellcome....

My best regards.

Just get the Classic and an Amp and be happy with it... The Iphone 4 plus amp would be better imo but the amp might affect reception in some way

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #11 of 21
Too late, couldn't resist the GAS and pulled the trigger, will review it by tonite to see if it sounds any better than 120GB.

Thanx for the opinions.

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Too late, couldn't resist the GAS and pulled the trigger, will review it by tonite to see if it sounds any better than 120GB.

Thanx for the opinions.

great!
looking forward to a detailed comparison as I also have the older classic and wondering the difference. I was tempted to get the new classic for its large capacity but got got discouraged after a few comments on its sound..
like you I always use it paired with an amp so the LO comparison will be great.

@nywytboy68
good to see you are enjoying the classic. last time I saw your post I remember reading you were planning to return it. what changed your opinion?  

Nov 11, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #13 of 21

great!
looking forward to a detailed comparison as I also have the older classic and wondering the difference. I was tempted to get the new classic for its large capacity but got got discouraged after a few comments on its sound..
like you I always use it paired with an amp so the LO comparison will be great.

@nywytboy68
good to see you are enjoying the classic. last time I saw your post I remember reading you were planning to return it. what changed your opinion?  

@LevA: I had an issue w/the slowness and somewhat unresponsiveness of the classic at times. I got used to it I guess, as on the whole it's a great device. I wish it had the Zune 120 sized screen, but otherwise it goes great w/40ohm cans. I'm quite pleased w/it.

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #14 of 21
A little update(more will come soon since time is money and hard to find the spare one)

2010 Classic definately sounds punchier and cleaner than 120gb, even through HP, when amped with Fiio E7 thing gets even wilder. I can honestly say that there is an improvement in th SQ jusy buy listenin to it for an hour. As yu know ipods have a, what we guitarist call while we use tubescreamer, a "mid hump". ipods seems to have that issue as well, mid sounds are more put forward, which is not a bad thing....

more will come when I can find time but will definately update you guys...

And yes it doesn't sound much different than iphone 4...more will come bout this..

bye for now.

Nov 15, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #15 of 21
so any updates on your impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back