Please advise me what to do on these ebay situation
Dec 10, 2007 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

daduy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi head-fiers,

I've recently just bought a wireless headphone from ebay, Philips SBCHC8580 Endnutzer Kopfhörer - (eBay item 230190605090 end time Nov-17-07 11:30:00 PST)

since it's in germany, i use google language tools to translate the description, it says:

"They offer a new headphones from Philips SBCHC8580. Unfortunately no guarantee more on the headphones.

See below for details.

Since this is a private sale is no guarantee and no returns.

Have fun."

so i won the auction, and have receive the item, unfortunately the base receiver is broken, that is, i plugged the adaptor and the status light lit up for a moment and they went dead, i happens every time i unplugged and plugged back the adaptor.

I have sent a message to the seller about 3 days ago asking him/her about the situation but there is no reply.

Now my question is, do i have the right to ask the seller for a refund, since he
already stated that there are no guarantee?

thanks for any advice on these matters,

best regards,
Daduy

Dec 10, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 19
Was it sold as a new or used item?

I can understand the no gurantee if it is used, but there must be a reasonable expectation that an item works if it is new. I would lodge a dispute with ebay.

Dec 10, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 19
Did you see any signs whether the package may have been tampered with? Given where you are, I would also suspect the PO. I heard one crazy story where someone sent a box of electronic gears to a friend, labeled the items as 'books' (to make the package look worthless and less likely to catch the attention of 'curious' eyes) and, when it arrived, the contents had apparently been replaced old, useless books!

Dec 10, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you see any signs whether the package may have been tampered with? Given where you are, I would also suspect the PO. I heard one crazy story where someone sent a box of electronic gears to a friend, labeled the items as 'books' (to make the package look worthless and less likely to catch the attention of 'curious' eyes) and, when it arrived, the contents had apparently been replaced old, useless books!

Isn't that an urban legend?

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 19
Since the seller is in Germeny have the Techno Viking pay this person a visit.

good luck!
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by daduy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi head-fiers,

I've recently just bought a wireless headphone from ebay, Philips SBCHC8580 Endnutzer Kopfhörer - (eBay item 230190605090 end time Nov-17-07 11:30:00 PST)

since it's in germany, i use google language tools to translate the description, it says:

"They offer a new headphones from Philips SBCHC8580. Unfortunately no guarantee more on the headphones.

See below for details.

Since this is a private sale is no guarantee and no returns.

Have fun."

so i won the auction, and have receive the item, unfortunately the base receiver is broken, that is, i plugged the adaptor and the status light lit up for a moment and they went dead, i happens every time i unplugged and plugged back the adaptor.

I have sent a message to the seller about 3 days ago asking him/her about the situation but there is no reply.

Now my question is, do i have the right to ask the seller for a refund, since he
already stated that there are no guarantee?

thanks for any advice on these matters,

best regards,
Daduy

The bot translation is quite good.
I think there's not much you can do.
You could try a bluff by threatening him by potential bad feedback, but I doubt that it would work.There's always the risk of retaliation and everybody knows it, and the seller's account looks like a "throw away" account of a dealer he doesn't care much about anyway.
This is probably a dealer unloading trade-ins at ebay he doesn't want to responsible for.Pretending to be a private seller and this way avoiding to provide warranty is illegal in Germany but hard to prove even if you are located in Germany.

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 19
Was the shipment insured? If it broke in carriage, then the insurer should pay for repair or replacement.

This is why I have *everything* insured that I buy from eBay or Audiogon.

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 19
Why would you buy an item on the other side of the planet from you that clearly stated "no guarantees and no returns"? Sorry, but I wouldn't give you your money back if I was that seller. There are lots of "liquidators" on eBay - they buy pallets of returns, seconds, insurance claims, etc and dump them on eBay. They don't test the items, and any buyer rolls the dice - the item could work fine, or it could be DOA. Usually, those sellers are upfront about saying they will not accept returns. Unfortunately, there are also individuals that have bought DOA items and then dump the item back on eBay when they find out they have a dead unit. Those are really the ones you have to be careful of - because those ads can look like a normal, regular Joe/Jane, individual seller. Sorry...

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 19
There's not much you can do.

The auction mentions no guarantee twice in quick succession. Auctions like this are usually just crap bought in bulk from some local car boot sale or pawn shop equivalent. They don't test anything. You weren't supposed to pay much for it in the first place.

Unlucky, keep your eyes open next time.

EK

EDIT: Take a look at his last 5 feedback. All Philips products. The seller probably has multiple accounts to segregate his wares, not uncommon. Try emailing him in German.

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 19
This is unfortunate, sorry to hear this.
The seller may be a reasonable person, there could be any number of reasons why they haven't responded yet and may get in contact with you soon.

Leaving bad feedback is, like has already been mentioned, a bit of a risk since they may just do the same to you unfairly.

It's quite possible that the device became damaged in transit - I would imagine the only way to prevent this sort of issue is with by getting insured postage. I've bought so many things without insured postage... I guess I've been willing to take the risk in those cases.
It doesn't fix this I know.

I hope the seller gets in contact with you (only500made: that link was awesome btw, I didn't know about that) and you can at least discuss this - the terms seem to not look favourable to you though. The seller has good feedback and so it is quite possible he shipped you a perfect set, as advertised, and they were damaged in transit. It really sucks, and it's something I always think about while waiting for parcels to arrive.

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was the shipment insured? If it broke in carriage, then the insurer should pay for repair or replacement.
This is why I have *everything* insured that I buy from eBay or Audiogon.

have you had any luck actually getting satisfaction on a claim? i've heard any number of horror stories whereby ups, fed-ex etc. make it difficult, if not impossible, to get satisfaction on a claim. i have a friend who works for fed-ex and they damaged his expensive speakers in transit and he couldn't get them to make good.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back