PlayStation-Fi
Feb 1, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #76 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My PS3 died this week
frown.gif
I'm very very bitter.

"Cannot Start. The correct hard disc was not found"

Sooooo sad. I tried all the tested and true forms of wiggling that little HD back into place (assuming it had jerked free) but to my dismay the HD seems to have borked itself into oblivion. Off the entire unit must go to the fix-it lab. 10 days for their box to arrive, ideally a 3 day turn-over for me to get the unit back.

If it turns out it was simply the HD, I may (when I get it back) just upgrade my HD right away to a bigger better unit and keep the new 60 as backup. Might as well install Ubuntu while I'm at it since I've lost all my saved games anyway.

Is there a method of backing up PS2 game data onto flash media? I believe this exists for PS3 games, of course, that only works while the HD is alive and kicking.

Oh the woes of 20+ beeps in a row. At least this is still under warranty. I'm guaranteed a 60 back, either new or refurbed. Hoping take two goes better. I have only had the unit for 5 months.

There is a method of backing up the PS2 into the flash drive. Just go to whatever saved file and press Triangle and copy it to any of your flash sticks. It's kind of sad you end up that 1% failure rate pool. I had my 60GB since launch is it's been pretty much the same as new one, but of course I changed the HDD so I didn't get to experience the built-in ones.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #79 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a method of backing up the PS2 into the flash drive. Just go to whatever saved file and press Triangle and copy it to any of your flash sticks. It's kind of sad you end up that 1% failure rate pool. I had my 60GB since launch is it's been pretty much the same as new one, but of course I changed the HDD so I didn't get to experience the built-in ones.

Thanks for the tip! My official Sony return box came today (one dent in it but okay thus far). A bit distressing is that it is a single box only and because it is pre-paid the weight can't change...so I can't double box it without paying (which I may do).

Apparently Canada has a 3 day turn around. Not policy, just the going rate these days so I hope to see my unit back by early next week! Then....NEW BIG HD!

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #80 of 259
It's official, Sony PlayStation 3 is the first Blu-Ray player to have BD-Live 2.0. The firmware update (2.20) can be downloaded now.

Quote:

Most notably, the update enables the PS3 to support Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0, also known as BD-Live. You can connect now to the Internet while playing discs that support BD-Live to obtain additional content and special features. These features vary from disc to disc, and will keep your BD discs fresh with new content and in some cases exclusive content only accessible to owners of BD-Live enabled discs. On April 8th Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release The 6th Day and Walk Hard on Blu-ray; these titles will be among the first to take advantage of BD-Live. With this update, the PLAYSTATION 3 becomes the first Blu-ray player on the market with BD-Live functionality.

Here are some of the other new features/enhancements that will be included in Firmware v2.20:

* The ability to copy PS3 Music and Photo playlists to a PSP system. We introduced the ability to create Music and Photo playlists on the PS3 in firmware update v2.0. Now you can easily export your playlists to your PSP.
* You can now play DivX and WMV format files that are over 2 GB. In addition, you can now display subtitles when viewing DivX files.
* Resume Play - begin playing a DVD or BD disc from the point where you previously stopped it, even if you eject the disc and insert a different movie or game.
* Use your PSP as a remote control to play back your music files on your PS3 without turning on your TV.
* The Internet browser now displays some web pages faster. In addition [Save Target] has been added as an option under file. This option lets you save a file that is linked to a web page to your PS3 hard drive or storage media.

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #81 of 259
Quote:

It's official, Sony PlayStation 3 is the first Blu-Ray player to have BD-Live 2.0. The firmware update (2.20) can be downloaded now.

Now then, how about FLAC support
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #82 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question is, can you play Crysis with it?
biggrin.gif

I'm not gonna get PS3 until it's much cheaper and I can easily, uh... "backup" my original games to play with it.

I don't think they will lower the price anymore. They're already losing too much on a single unit. If not for the competition the price would be still up there. But now that there's pretty much no competition, they won't think about any further price reduction. They'll just offer more for the money. It's just my opinion.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #84 of 259
@ Zanth
While I don't really care about lossless audio because I either play it direct from the CD or 320-352kbps MP3 or ATRAC3plus they do need to put this feature there. Although WAV (PCM) works via streaming off PC or maybe even FLAC but haven't tested that one yet as I don't have any FLAC files.

@ analogbox
Sony already cut the production cost to a whole lot. They are already making profits off PlayStation 3 consoles. They did this by making the Cell BE 65nm from 90nm and remove the expensive heavy metal heatsink and replaced it with more lightweight version. They also removed the Emotion Engine that's in the PS3 that use to play PS2 games for 100% compatibility in replacement of software emulation. Also in 40GB SKUs they removed the memory card readers and 2 USB ports.

@aris
My update only took a good 10-20 minutes including installation. Make sure you have NAT Type 2. Go to settings and test your connection and make sure it's NAT Type 2 instead of Type 3.

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #85 of 259
Quote:

@ analogbox
Sony already cut the production cost to a whole lot. They are already making profits off PlayStation 3 consoles. They did this by making the Cell BE 65nm from 90nm and remove the expensive heavy metal heatsink and replaced it with more lightweight version. They also removed the Emotion Engine that's in the PS3 that use to play PS2 games for 100% compatibility in replacement of software emulation. Also in 40GB SKUs they removed the memory card readers and 2 USB ports.

You are right. Thus the price cut we had sometime ago. But I suspect they'll go any lower. Of course, I could be wrong.

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #86 of 259
I'm just waiting for them to release a 40GB + Dual Shock 3 combo for $400. I don't really want to by the $500 MGS4 one. (I plan on renting titles, and I already have a ps2)

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #87 of 259
Quote:

@ Zanth
While I don't really care about lossless audio because I either play it direct from the CD or 320-352kbps MP3 or ATRAC3plus they do need to put this feature there. Although WAV (PCM) works via streaming off PC or maybe even FLAC but haven't tested that one yet as I don't have any FLAC files.

I don't care so much about the lossless bit of it, its mainly that I don't want to have to convert nearly 2 TB worth of FLAC files to something else just so I can listen to my music on the main floor. Of course, I want lossless if I can have it. My main audio rig is in the basement along with all my cds and my server. The HT is on the main floor along with the PS3. My wife and I really would like to take advantage of everything we have and using the server to get us our music without having stacks of CDs piling up on our main floor is ideal.

PS3 is able to variably play PCM/WAV files, but only of known word length. This is a major hassle and one of the primary reasons most transcoding is completely borked when sent to a PS3. The PS3 either sees the files but can't play them, or will play them but not grab the tags or get the tags, start playing but then cut out after 2 minutes.

Implementing FLAC support would be trivial and very useful along with every other major audio and video codec. It is a media pc right? This is what they originally advertized it as....well then, allow it to function like one Sony! At least they do allow linux to run on it, but my wife would have a fit if she had to use linux to listen to music.

All that said, the 2.20 went well last night, 3 minutes overall to download and install and reboot sans hiccups.

While hacking up my media server quite a bit, I finally came across what will inevitably be a fix until the PS3 can handle PCM or FLAC well: FUSE/mp3fs. This implemented (only under linux) virtually casts a FLAC directory as an mp3 directory. I can set the decoding to any cbr I want (I'll choose 320) and I should have all the music I want upstairs.

For now this works, but I would prefer losslessness darnit!

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #88 of 259
Ok, good info, but I'm still confused. So if I were to order a PS3 now, which model should I get? I'd like to use it for everything, including PS2 games, SACD, music/movie streaming, and blue-ray.

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #89 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, good info, but I'm still confused. So if I were to order a PS3 now, which model should I get? I'd like to use it for everything, including PS2 games, SACD, music/movie streaming, and blue-ray.

60GB, since it has fully backwards compatibility. (though I've heard problems with certain ps2 games) If you can't find one, just get a 40GB and a PS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back