Playing GT4 endurance with modifications
Feb 3, 2006 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
Check it out: All the GT4 fans on the forums know that the most grueling races in the Endurance lineup are the 24 hours courses at Nurburgring, and two at Circuit de la Sarthe. Since I have a slimline PS2 now (with Swap Magic, I love it
biggrin.gif
), I figured if I were to attempt any of these races, even in the B-Spec director's mode to speed it up to 3x (that's eight real hours of gameplay), my PS2 would still heat up quite a bit, right over the heatsink underneath the left side of the polised "PS2" strip on top of the console.

So what I did to combat this and guarantee no issues with my PS2 running that long for those races is this(and keep in mind im not playing during this time, I have better things to do than binge game unless its not tedious!):
I had a spare heatsink and Cooler Master 12V single speed fan assembly that I salvaged off an old Pentium III mobo, and hooked the fan up to a 12V adaptor.

That worked, so then I fixed the fan to the heatsink and simply placed it on the console top where the hotspot gathers, and it does a very decent job of dissipating heat, keeping my PS2 cool for the long haul. Of course, this is only temporary, and I'm nearly done with endurance racing in GT4. But the point is, it works for its purpose and in the future I might be compelled to try additional cooling methods inside the console, or make use of the air inlet in the back by force feeding cold air into it.

Any take on this? I was actually quite surprised myself to find that this was indeed effective, even though in theory I should be running the fan right over the original heatsink, which wont work until I find an ultra low profile fan.

580smile.gif
Abe

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 5
I've done GT4 enduros with the stock cooling \just fine and heh, the Nurburging Enduro is more than 8 hours even if you do 3X becasue of the fact trhat you have reember to speed it back up when it pits and such.

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
I've done GT4 enduros with the stock cooling \just fine and heh, the Nurburging Enduro is more than 8 hours even if you do 3X becasue of the fact trhat you have reember to speed it back up when it pits and such.

Same goes for either of the Circuit de la Sarthe races as well, it's more like eight and a half hours, but in my case, if I have a good lead, like two laps or more ahead of the second place car, I'll leave the game to itself, since it will automatically pit, just not at the optimal time, and then the game goes back to 1x speed, which I don't mind so long as when I return to the game that I haven't lost my lead. This was very hard to do in Sarthe I, where the best lead I had was only one lap, so I had to be more attentive. In Nurburgring, I let the game go about its business for the most part since my lead was multiple laps, and I found out that even if you run out of fuel, your car still goes 50mph until it pits.

580smile.gif
Abe

Feb 3, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 5
I did all the long GT4 endurance races with the stock system cooling and the PS2 did get pretty warm, but nothing bad happened. I usually manually raced about an hour or two of each of them, then just let the game take over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back