Players that Support Dynamic/On The Fly Playlists?
Feb 4, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by phosfiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Rockbox have this feature?

Yes, so you can have this feature on any Rockbox-supported player:
Archos Player, Recorder and Ondio
iriver H100 series, H300 series and H10 series
certain iPods
iAudio X5
Toshiba Gigabeat F and X series

Feb 4, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 20
The stock X5 firmware has this feature, if I understand what you're talking about correctly. When I'm getting ready for a listening session, I'll fire up the first track that I want to hear. Then, I'll start sifting through the contents of all of the folders, clicking on tracks and selecting "Add to List". They're stored in a system directory called D-PLAYLIST. They just keep playing and playing
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess this is a dynamic playlist, right?

Feb 4, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I'm getting ready for a listening session, I'll fire up the first track that I want to hear. Then, I'll start sifting through the contents of all of the folders, clicking on tracks and selecting "Add to List". They're stored in a system directory called D-PLAYLIST. They just keep playing and playing
smily_headphones1.gif

Yessir, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Archos 504 has it right out of the box, along with all the new models, and the old Archos all support rockbox.

Feb 4, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock X5 firmware has this feature, if I understand what you're talking about correctly. When I'm getting ready for a listening session, I'll fire up the first track that I want to hear. Then, I'll start sifting through the contents of all of the folders, clicking on tracks and selecting "Add to List". They're stored in a system directory called D-PLAYLIST. They just keep playing and playing
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess this is a dynamic playlist, right?

Quote:

Oh, that's not what I had in mind when I mentioned the Karma and Vibez. They do support this, but many other players do, too. The Karma and Vibez just take it a few steps further allowing you to add music to the now playling list and control the order that the music is played. You can also change your mind and easily remove music from the now playing list. You can also reorder individual tracks within the list at any given time.

HTH.

Feb 4, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, that's not what I had in mind when I mentioned the Karma and Vibez. They do support this, but many other players do, too. The Karma and Vibez just take it a few steps further allowing you to add music to the now playling list and control the order that the music is played. You can also change your mind and easily remove music from the now playing list. You can also reorder individual tracks within the list at any given time.

HTH.

Sounds like Rockbox on any of the supported players. You can Add to the dynamic playlist (following the last added song), add as the Next song, add as the Last song, or do any of those things as a Queue addition which just means it disappears from the playlist once played. You can also go directly to look at the dynamic playlist at any time and delete or reorder songs. EDIT: You can also do these things with entire albums or even entire artists.

I know that I made it sound complicated but it's actually completely simple. It's one of the biggest improvement over the iPod OS to my mind.

Feb 4, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like Rockbox on any of the supported players. You can Add the dynamic playlist (following the last added song), add as the Next song, add as the Last song, or do any of those things as a Queue addition which just means it disappears from the playlist once played. You can also go directly to look at the dynamic playlist at any time and delete or reorder songs.

I know that I made it sound complicated but it's actually completely simple. It's one of the biggest improvement over the iPod OS to my mind.

Yup, sounds exactly the same. On the Vibez they're listed as Insert (add song after selected track), Enqueue (add song after last added track), Append (add song to end of list). Once you choose on of these you have the option of adding a track, artist, album, genre and playlist. On the Vibez, I assume you can also select by folder, but don't quote me on that. You can also remove music from the now playing list by track, artist, album or genre.

One thing is certain: Now that I've been using this for 3+ years, I refuse to buy another player without it.

Feb 5, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 20
Does anyone know if the Gigabeat S series supports dynamic playlists?

I am getting one tomorrow and this is the single most important feature to me... I will not be keeping it if it doesnt have it...

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seufari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if the Gigabeat S series supports dynamic playlists?

I am getting one tomorrow and this is the single most important feature to me... I will not be keeping it if it doesnt have it...

yes it does. its not a bad player, theres just some firmware problems that microsoft refuses to fix

ugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back