Plasma Headphones?
Jun 21, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #77 of 88
Anyone have a link to distortion specs of the Hill design? I've seen the plasmasonic specs and they weren't impressive.

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #78 of 88
Whole_system.jpg

Not exactly portable, huh?

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #79 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have a link to distortion specs of the Hill design? I've seen the plasmasonic specs and they weren't impressive.

jayphil's page is now defunct but he had a bunch of measurements of the original and his modified plasmatronics--the main change seems to have been adding some acoustic dampening in the form of foam around the plasma cavity, and the result was the cleanest waterfall plot I've ever seen, by far. There's a plasmatronics Google group staffed with owners, and someone there supposed to know jay, so you can ask there for the graphs. Another interesting mod is Nelson Pass', who cascoded the tube-driven current amplifier's output stage with MOSFETs and got even lower distortion (he's actually a member of the group).
Of course, a benefit of the plasmatronics design is that any wanted distortion level can be achieved by simply raising dissipated power/lowering efficiency sufficiently. It's a matter of picking your compromise point.

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #80 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whole_system.jpg

Not exactly portable, huh?

No less then any electrostatic headphone with an amp. I would be more worried about the very high voltage which is an order of magnitude above electrostatics.

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #81 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No less then any electrostatic headphone with an amp. I would be more worried about the very high voltage which is an order of magnitude above electrostatics.

And the voltage you get from walking across a dry carpet is an order of magnitude higher yet--about 20,000 volts.

I'm tired of fearmongering about voltage when it's current that kills, not voltage. Not to mention bringing up a dead horse that's been beat to death multiple times already...
rolleyes.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #82 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowbar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the voltage you get from walking across a dry carpet is an order of magnitude higher yet--about 20,000 volts.

I'm tired of fearmongering about voltage when it's current that kills, not voltage. Not to mention bringing up a dead horse that's been beat to death multiple times already...
rolleyes.gif

Shhhh don't tell the noobs!!!
wink.gif
I've had so many PM's over the years asking if I'm crazy having all this HV on my head. Still 5kV brings up a number of issues with dielectric strength and arcing.

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #85 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why everyone worries so much, just wear one of these under you phones.
chainmail.jpg

A picture of King Arthur? Do we need to staple it to our foreheads or to our ears? What kind of paper do we print it on? Photo glossy? Is there an incantation required to give the picture of King Arthur the power to ward off high voltage or is this power inherent in the semblance of King Arthur himself?

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #86 of 88
This used to be serious thread... :|

Jun 23, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #87 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowbar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This used to be serious thread... :|

It's now an active thread
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back