Plasma Headphones?
Jun 6, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #16 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The things swung 3000 volts of corona discharge half an inch from your ears.

Perfectly safe due to the very low current. The static discharge from walking on a carpet can do 20,000 V, but no one is worried about that.

cotdt is mistaken, it's not a 2000 W supply; the supply is standard size for a headphone amp.

The supremacy of these headphones over any other headphones or speakers is shown by this:
Headphone_frequency_response.jpg

Only glow discharge plasma can do better, and I've only seen that in Hill's speakers. Could be doable for headphones, and that would be incredible as far as sound...imagine playing binaural recordings into plasma headphones...you'd get perfect soundstaging that will be indistinguishable from live sound... But, it's difficult technically and, unlike the headphones above, actually dangerous due to the higher current, heat, and UV (it would actually need an ACTIVE cooling system).

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #18 of 88
Well, that and the ozone will corrode your head

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #19 of 88
Nah. Ozone can be dealt with (catalyst-coated grid and proper venting).

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #22 of 88
Either way the nitrous will make it the smoothest listening experience you've ever had.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #23 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either way the nitrous will make it the smoothest listening experience you've ever had.

There is a miniscule amount of nitrous oxide produced; you'd die from nitrogen dioxide well before you feel any of the effects of the laughing gas. Of course, the same catalyst-coated mesh as I mentioned above in the ozone solution takes care of the oxides of nitrogen as well. Despite your continued scaremongering, ultimately the supreme quality of the plasma as a driver makes it the best choice despite the practical difficulties, all of which can be overcome by engineering.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #24 of 88
Is this really the perfect audiophile technology, or is it just me? It's theoretically perfect, extremely obscure, and quite possibly lethal. I'd love to get my hands on a working prototype.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #25 of 88
I'm considering starting an audio business. I already have prototypes derived from Hill's speakers, minus the need for helium. There are crazy audiophiles that will pay the $50K per pair I have in mind (signing release form, of course
biggrin.gif
), and not minding the possible need of exhaust ducts to the outside. I'll consider headphones, but think $3K.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #26 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes, they exist all right. Google for PlasmaSonic headphones.

The things swung 3000 volts of corona discharge half an inch from your ears. I love it. Of course, with typical French build quality and a 15 odd years of time having past since they were made, I'm not sure even I would risk listening to a set, at least without some pretty serious refurbishment.

The amp they came with sucks badly from what I understand, so part of any DIY project involving them would have to include making a proper amp for them.

1177657147493.jpg

1177657178923.jpg

These frames look a lot like MB QP70
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #28 of 88
I spent several hours with the Hill Plasmatronics back when they were new. Just the tweeter was plasma (5 inch Audax bextrine midrange IIRC) and a big woofer. They really fascinated me, the closer you put your ear to the tweeter, the more it sounded like you were listening to live music in the next room through a 1 inch hole in the wall. I think you might be on to something.

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #30 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never heard the plasma headphones, but plasma speakers were reputed to be extremely transparent. My friend who has heard one said that the midrange is far more transparent than even his Quad ESLs and the treble more transparent than his ribbon tweeters!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have been in love with the Acapella speakers for some time. They are some of the finest sounding speakers I have ever heard. It is just the tweeters that are plasma. They run from about 5K up. The mids are horn loaded Dyns.

http://www.aaudioimports.com/store/P...=43&subCatID=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back