Plasma Driver DIY
Apr 9, 2008 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dgbiker1

500+ Head-Fier
I came across this concept of "massless" drivers today and I'm interested in building my own plasma driver-based speaker. Sure there's the ridiculous amount of RF radiation, carcinogen production (Ozone), heat, and lethal voltages... but these things apparently sound amazing
biggrin.gif

I'm just wondering if anyone has either heard a plasma speaker and/or attempted to build their own? I'm wondering if this would be worth pursuing or if I should just stick to standard dynamic drivers.
YouTube - Plasma Speaker - DREAM THEATER - Acid Rain

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Build your own plasma tweeter with the instructions here:

Ulrich Haumann's DIY PLASMA TWEETER

I've always loved the concept of the "talking arc," but the implementation spooks me. And Spritzer, I'm not sure I'd want one on my head!
wink.gif

There are a few different types of plasma drivers so there is no need for a huge arc on each side of the head. You are still dealing with voltages an order of magnitude higher then electrostatics so if 500v is scary to you run far away. I'm more interested in the use of ribbons for headphone drivers rather then plasma.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 12
I even found a kit for $100 per tweeter that uses a tesla coil, but the demonstrations of those sounded pretty bad as you could hear the arcing.

Ulrich's design is the one I've been considering building. It's a bit steep at $250 per tweeter though. This site has some pretty good directions based on Ulrich's original design:
Untitled

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 12
OP asked if anyone had hear one. I heard the Plasmatronics speaker many years ago. It sounded fabulous. .

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP asked if anyone had hear one. I heard the Plasmatronics speaker many years ago. It sounded fabulous. .

Thanks audiomagnate. It looks like they are completely flat >2kHz. I think I might build one to see how the DIY versions sound and then build another and use them as tweeters in my bigger 3-way speaker project if it sounds good.

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back