Plantronics Office/Telemarketing headset modifiable to 2.5mm plug?
May 23, 2005 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
plantronics_h41nn.jpg

I really like the ergonomics of this headset, but it is designed for office telephones. Is it possible to cut the connector off and replace it with a 2.5mm plug for use with cell phone jacks?

Or would I need the amplifier unit with it too?

I realize Plantronics makes an Halo 2 XBox branded version of this one, but I want an ear piece that rests on top of the ear canal, and not inside it.

Thanks,
-Ed

May 25, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 12
Hey Ed,

Here is something interesting to think about if you are going to try to use a telephone headset from Plantronics. My friend works in Plantronics legal (int property), and he assures me that ALL Plantronics telephone based headsets have been tweaked for tonal balance that compensates for the freq inbalance of the telephone line/voice signal which means boosted highs (and it does not matter if it is old or new model this "standard" has been around since they have made headsets). Might be irritating to use if you got it to work.

May 25, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the info, Andy.

I guess it could be possible to attenuate the high frequency with an inline filter of some kind. But cell phones and VOIP is pretty compressed anyways, so it may not be an issue. Guess I won't know until I try.

I'll try to get a really cheap one on eBay. Does your friend have any Plantronics Mirage H41N headsets they could give away?
wink.gif

-Ed

May 25, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Thanks for the info, Andy.

I'll try to get a really cheap one on eBay. Does your friend have any Plantronics Mirage H41N headsets they could give away?
wink.gif

-Ed

icon10.gif
Sorry Ed, tried get stuff before, but never got a thing. Best I could do from my friend is a discount off retail. Ok for new BT headsets and stuff. For telephone headsets I bet Ebay would still be cheaper.

May 25, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
What's the difference between the Sound Tube and Noise Cancelling versions, other than the obvious noise cancelling feature?

-Ed

Not much other than the mike is different. Have heard their cell phone version of the boom mike which is suppose to reduce noise pickup (which I am guessing is similar to the sound tube) on cell calls in a car and it does help reduce some wind noise pickup compared to regular mikes (did some comparisons with my friend). Never heard their noise cancelling though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back