Planning on getting the Sennheiser HD595's
Aug 7, 2008 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

teatime0315

Head-Fier
So I'm thinking of purchasing these as my first real set of cans.
I currently use Creative Ep630's which sound great for 20 bucks.
I also used to use the Koss UR-15's which I acquired for free.
Now that I have some extra money, I think I'm ready to step it up to something good.
My concern though is that my source isn't going to be good enough to truly enjoy these cans.
Source: Computer equipped with an Audigy 2.
Are the headphones going to sound good when paired with that?
If not, what sound card would you recommend I buy?
Thanks a lot! Hope to be a potential HD595 owner
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 27
Another question.. probably stupid... but I was wondering, should I plug the phones directly to the sound card? Or can I plug them into my speaker which is plugged into the sound card now?

Aug 7, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 27
The 555s should be a better value though especially connected to a souncard. The sonics are almost the same on the 555s and 595s

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 27
I had the 595s. I sold them in favor of the Alessandro MS-1. I think the 595s sound good, but are kind of boring and uninvolving.

Also, the MS-1 (like most Grado's) don't really need an amp and will do fine out your Audigy. But then again, the 595s don't need an amp as well
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the 595s. I sold them in favor of the Alessandro MS-1. I think the 595s sound good, but are kind of boring and uninvolving.

Also, the MS-1 (like most Grado's) don't really need an amp and will do fine out your Audigy. But then again, the 595s don't need an amp as well
wink.gif

You know what, from all the slating the HD595's usually get, i have to say i really liked them, least of all for the comfort over the Grado's. But given the choice i would also look at the Alessnadro's and a pair of Sennheiser HD414 ear pads. but even with that said, i'd be happy with a a pair of HD595's.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 27
I never said I didn't like them. They're very good headphones and they might even be better than an MS-1. Although, after some time I stopped caring for the sound. It's more of a jack of all trades. Everything sounds good, but nothing sounds great and therefore I liked the MS-1 better.

The MS-1 feels more neutral, and more involving than 595s. They're also more forgiving than 595s.

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeliveryMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you live in the US, trade in your creatives and get $30 bucks back on your HD 595 purchase!

Haha for a minute there, I was like "Where's the link?".
A question though, could I send in the Koss ones instead since they aren't working? I think I'd like to keep the Creative's for a back-up pair.

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by teatime0315 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha for a minute there, I was like "Where's the link?".
A question though, could I send in the Koss ones instead since they aren't working? I think I'd like to keep the Creative's for a back-up pair.

The add says Quote:

Originally Posted by TradeUp
Gather up your headphones—broken, used, any brand—we don’t care!

Based on that I would assume that it would be fine to send you broken Koss headphones.

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 27
Sorry for the thread-jacking...
But does the MS-1 work well with movies, I am planning on buying a pair of phones that I will use mostly at home, from my computer or ipod, and I often use my computer to watch movies... So, will they work?

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the thread-jacking...
But does the MS-1 work well with movies, I am planning on buying a pair of phones that I will use mostly at home, from my computer or ipod, and I often use my computer to watch movies... So, will they work?

The 595's will sound better with movies and games.

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 595's will sound better with movies and games.

Well, music is a big part also. I listen to a alot of music, right now it's mostly rock, which I've read that the MS-1 does great...
And here in Sweden I would be looking at the hd555 instead of the hd595, since everything (and especially electronics) is much more expensive here.

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, music is a big part also. I listen to a alot of music, right now it's mostly rock, which I've read that the MS-1 does great...
And here in Sweden I would be looking at the hd555 instead of the hd595, since everything (and especially electronics) is much more expensive here.

Well, for music its more about taste then, say one is better then the other. I had the SR80's (very similar to the MS1's) and the 595's at the same time. The SR80's were much more intament, bright and in you face (although I have read the the MS1's were more natural and less bright then the SR80's). They sounded great for classic rock and metal. The HD595 had a much better soundstage with an ever so slightly grainy top end but a overall more natural sound. the 595's were awesome with bands like Radiohead and Pinkfloyd and still good with everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back