Planning on getting hd 800 what to buy with it?
Aug 18, 2014 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Caguioa

100+ Head-Fier
so what amp would be best to bring out hd 800? and what amp do you use and...why

was thinnking of getting an amp but im undecided witch to buy... if your getting heapdhones like these why buy cheap one?
i want to use it for my laptop, for gaming/music/movies and if possible to use it on....ps4?
what would be the best choice?

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 9
I am guessing its your first hifi purchase. Consider getting a sound card for your PC instead of an amp and DAC. It should completely satisfy your needs for movies, gaming and any low quality music playback like from youtube or pandora. This setup will even be great for music especially if you haven't owned or used any hifi setups before. Once you get a good feel for HD 800 and want to get more out of them you can go and get a dedicated DAC and AMP. IMO kind of useless buying cheap DAC and amp for HD 800 right of the bat since it wont be worth the price down the road once you will want to upgrade. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 9
If you’re on a budget for an amp, get the Schist Vali for the HD800. period. I’ve used it and it’s awesome for the price. lots of praise here on the forums from people who have tried it and other high end amps. note that it needs a wall power supply

For the DAC, again, if you’re on a budget, I’d recommend a Dragonfly v2 (sticks right into a USB slot on the laptop so it’s one less box sitting next to the laptop). I had a v1 and really liked it (didn’t pair with an HD00 but I consider the dragonfly quality, anyway, based on use with speakers and other headphones)

If you ever want to move up to more resolving and higher end amps, the HD800 threads are here to help.

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 9
Woo WA7 dac/amp with the EH gold pin tube option. :)
built in DAC all in one solution, beautiful glass design, small form factor, sounds great with the HD800.

add the WA7 tp power supply if budget allows :) will greatly improve imaging and soundstaging.

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 9
I think tube amps make a good combination with the HD800. A "cheap" option could be an Icon Audio HP8 MKII, a little beast that gives the HD800 more body and a fantastic bass.  And in the future you can upgrade it with Jensen or Mundorf Silver Gold Oils caps and Full Music tubes, for example.

And if your budget is wider, I´d recommend you a Leben cs300xs and, on a different king of sound, a Auralic Taurus MKII. Both are incredible amps!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back