planning on buying a squeeze box.
May 25, 2009 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

lutwey

1000+ Head-Fier
before taking the plunge i would like ask some questions? do i still need a dac if i buy this or i can just use the rca connection? let say i want to use a dac (the one built in in my cantate) how iam suppose to connect it the usb port looks different ?

thanks in advance btw im planning to do this.

attachment.php

May 26, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 21
You can use the built in DAC in the Squeezebox via the RCA outputs. It's pretty decent by itself, and then you can upgrade to a better DAC later and connect it via either the Digital coax or the TOSLink Optical output.

There is no USB input or output on this device. It is designed to be a network (RJ45 Ethernet cable, or WIFI) attached front end Audio output device, receiving streamed digital audio from a computer running the Squeeze Center software.

The Cantate is DAC input is USB only, so you can't hook it up directly to the Squeezebox to output a digital signal to use the Cantate's internal DAC. You probably wouldn't gain anything from doing that anyway, since the Cantate's DAC isn't much better(and may be worse) than the DAC in the Squeezebox.

What you could do though, is go from the Analog audio outputs(RCA's) of the Squeezebox into the Cantate's analog inputs. That would work perfectly fine. I do that on occasion when I am testing a new headphone amp I am building.

May 26, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 21
I've got a few Squeezebox's. Just remember you need a computer or NAS to be on to use it. As for audio out either use analogue or digital (optical/coax) to a DAC. Analogue out and digital out is variable, or fixed. To go higher end though I'd recommend using a off-board DAC.

SB is great although I wish they made a all in one unit with CPU hardware plus HD.

May 26, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 21
The SB dac is very good, you'll get an excellent clean analogue output, much better than a mac/pc output.

May 26, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 21
im sorry but im a bit confusedim not using my macbooks output nor my macmini. i use the built in dac of my cantante. so basically my question can be summed as : squeezebox (dac) vs cantate2 (dac). again will there be a significant downgrade in sound quality.

this will probably a temporary set up until i can purcahse/spot agreat deal on th fs forum a b22/o22 and a decent tube amp(d337 or woo audio 6 or 2). as you can see a i have a major purchase or two in the coming months. so a dac might be out of the question as of now. btw ive a final question. is it necessary to buy the bjc mini>rca or the included analog cabbles good enough. is this another situation where cable quality is up someone opnion or the included cable is just a sub par products? sorry last one, FOR REALS. what is a NAS?
thanks guys

May 26, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 21
NAS- Network Attached Storage. I would recommend the new 1.2ghz Qnap NAS's, the one with single bay- no fans at all. The 500mhz versions are ok in use, but slow building library. And a bit slow with Erlands Custom Browse plugin.

May 26, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 21
Of course a NAS doesn't have a DAC, that's not what it's for. Just install Slim Center on your MAC. Use analogue output for now from Squeezebox, if you don't like it save up for a DAC. The Squeezebox is pretty cheap.

May 27, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thnaks mr slim.

one question thoug in your opinion whats better the dac of the squeezebox or the cowon s9. im thinking of just buying an s9 an using a mini to rca from bluejeans.

The s9 looks like a very sexy DAP, but they do not mention any details on the type of DAC the player uses.

Ultimately though, the Squeezebox and the S9 are two completely different devices, aimed at different markets.

I think we need to start over here. I don't think you quite understand how the Squeezebox is supposed to be used..
If you have music on a computer, or want to put it on a computer, rather than playing it from a CD/DVD player or other source, then you install the SqueezeCenter software on that computer, it catalogs the music, and then streams the music digitally over your home network to the Squeezebox, using its DAC to interface to a Hi Fi system, which could also be a headphone amp(using RCA inputs) .. That is what it does in its most simple configuration. Taking it a step further, you can take the digital output of the Squeezbox (S/PDIF out), bypassing the internal DAC and use a better DAC to do the conversion to get higher quality sound.

The NAS box is just another computer that happens to be dedicated to serving files out to other computers. The tend to be capable of larger disk capacity than typical computers(particularly laptops), but a desktop computer could do the same thing.

Iriverdude, the whole point of the squeezbox is that you can have something small and quiet in your music area, that interfaces to the music server that is usually much noisier, but can be located somewhere else in the house.

As I mentioned before the cantate2 only has a USB input to accept digital signals, and the Squeezebox doesn't have USB out.. only optical or Coaxial S/PDIF. Also, I don't think the Cantate2 DAC (a TI 2702, which is the same as what the Alien and Bantam DIY DACS use) is any better, and may be worse than the DAC built into the Squeezbox.

Maybe you should explain what you want to do..

May 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

riverdude, the whole point of the squeezbox is that you can have something small and quiet in your music area, that interfaces to the music server that is usually much noisier, but can be located somewhere else in the house.

No really? That's why I mentioned the Qnap 1.2ghz NAS. No fan, just HD noise- and use a 5400 rpm Western Digital Green and it's silent.

QNAP Systems, Inc. ( TS-119 Turbo NAS ) - Quality Network Appliance Provider

Quote:

If you have music on a computer, or want to put it on a computer, rather than playing it from a CD/DVD player or other source, then you install the SqueezeCenter software on that computer, it catalogs the music

The music doesn't have to be on the host slim server machine, for example you could use a laptop as slim server, but the music is stored on a non slim server capable NAS on your LAN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back