planning on buying a squeeze box.
May 27, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bonus with the squeezebox is the access to internet radio and music services.

But the internet radio is all low quality, typically 128k or worse. I stream lossless files via my home wireless network from my office to my bedroom SB Duet, then to a good DAC and headphone amp to my K701. Internet radio is always a let down in sound quality.

May 28, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #17 of 21
Iriverdude, I agree that you can use a NAS box for storage, and have another machine running the SqueezeCenter software. I just subscribe to the "simpler is better" line of thinking.. Have you heard about the "plug computer"? its the size of a wall wart, has a 1.2 Ghz cpu, 512 Mb of Ram, 512 MB of ram, and has a gigabit eth port and a USB2.0 port. And I have heard that Slim/Logitech has already done some testing of it and it runs SC very well.. and they cost $100..

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by V-DiV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the internet radio is all low quality, typically 128k or worse. I stream lossless files via my home wireless network from my office to my bedroom SB Duet, then to a good DAC and headphone amp to my K701. Internet radio is always a let down in sound quality.

The sound quality does vary between stations but, for casual listening while doing other things it's fine IMHO. For serious, sit down and concentrate listening I wouldn't bother.

Cheers
wolster

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a few Squeezebox's. Just remember you need a computer or NAS to be on to use it. As for audio out either use analogue or digital (optical/coax) to a DAC. Analogue out and digital out is variable, or fixed. To go higher end though I'd recommend using a off-board DAC.

SB is great although I wish they made a all in one unit with CPU hardware plus HD.

Here: vortexbox.org

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #21 of 21
One nice aspect of the Squeezebox and the Duet are the modifications available from the Bolder Cable Company. Wayne is a great guy and he offers awesome upgrades for both the analog and digital sections. I recently had a digital modification done to my Duet and the difference is not small. When I first started using the Squeezebox it lacked dimension and frequency extension, but fortunately the modification changed that for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back