Planning on building a BantamDAC
Jun 25, 2009 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

slashclee

New Head-Fier
Wondering what amps people have paired with it. Can I power a cmoy amp and the BantamDAC both from the same USB connection, or is that begging for trouble?

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, first of all.. USB only provides 5v power. Most cmoy's need around +/-5v to operate, depending on the opamp. You'll need a voltage multiplier to make that work.

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 5
CMOY uses virtual ground (V+/G/V-), BantamDAC uses a single supply (V+/G), once you connect the Ground (which is also V- since it's split supply) on the Bantam to V- and G on the CMOY, it will collapse the the virtual ground. Basically, you can't do it unless you find a better way to create the ground reference on the CMOY. There is a thread in the DIY section now about a USB powered amp+dac that might be what you're looking for.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 5
I have a FiiO E5 amp. I was wondering if this little amp also uses a virtual ground like a Cmoy from Tangents tutorial or is it different? Would a FiiO E5 work with a BantamDAC?

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashkii21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a FiiO E5 amp. I was wondering if this little amp also uses a virtual ground like a Cmoy from Tangents tutorial or is it different? Would a FiiO E5 work with a BantamDAC?

There should be no problem using the two together.
There will only be a problem if you try to use the same power supply to power both the amp and the dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back