Planars: Ok, I finally get it.
Jun 4, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #122 of 126
I'm currently auditioning the LCD2C and Ananda. There's definitely more volume of bass with the LCD2C. The Ananda bass feels a bit faster, and doesn't linger therefore feels like less bass overall. I wouldnt describe either as having bass "slam", but perhaps its a limitation of my experience, or my equipment? I'm a neophyte and right now I am feeding them with a Modi and Atom. Really, I'm not seeing more "slam" than say the dynamic drivers in the DT1990 is providing in the same setup.
If I were to upgrade my amp (a Asgard 3, or Lyr 3?), would I see that planar bass slam? My Atom amp is only at 9 or 10 o'clock on the dial, so perhaps I don't understand how a more powerful amp can further contribute.

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #123 of 126
I'm currently auditioning the LCD2C and Ananda. There's definitely more volume of bass with the LCD2C. The Ananda bass feels a bit faster, and doesn't linger therefore feels like less bass overall. I wouldnt describe either as having bass "slam", but perhaps its a limitation of my experience, or my equipment? I'm a neophyte and right now I am feeding them with a Modi and Atom. Really, I'm not seeing more "slam" than say the dynamic drivers in the DT1990 is providing in the same setup.
If I were to upgrade my amp (a Asgard 3, or Lyr 3?), would I see that planar bass slam? My Atom amp is only at 9 or 10 o'clock on the dial, so perhaps I don't understand how a more powerful amp can further contribute.
No, I know slam as I listened to properly driven HE-6. LCD2C is not on that level. It impacts, but not slams.

I know HD800S can put out quality bass, but it has to be particular OTL tubes. It puts out a large area of tight bass that slaps your ears. Very fun with electronic. Not any amp can drive it like this is the issue. Planars are more consistent. I assume when people talk about LCD2C bass is whatever impact it outputs, but there are better quality bass.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #124 of 126
Holy bologna, that's exactly what I'm doing now too! Modi 3, Atom, with new LCD2C's and Ananda's! I just got my RMA No. for the Audeze and will be packing them up probably tomorrow.

But I'm still deciding about the Ananda, and actually really struggling. At first i thought they were the best things I've ever heard. Then after a few days I started to think that the treble is just a bit too pronounced for me (around 8kHz or so maybe?). I like a clear but smoother high end, more like HD600 and Focal Clear (even the 99 Classics). But my ears are kinda playing tricks on me this past week, and my tinnitus also seems a bit worse than normal. I think I might be having some mild seasonal allergy congestion, or I've been listening to headphones too much lately (again, I just got the M1060C about a month ago also).

Anyway I have the Anandas on an approx 3 day burn in to see if that helps reduce the high end any. I'm all but certain I'm going to keep them, especially since I plan to fully burn them in and I'd feel kinda bad returning them after that. Worst case is that i have to eq 2-3 dB off the highest two or three bands, on days when I'm feeling more treble sensitive. There's just too much good here to let them go I think.

To your point, I actually find the bass level and punch on both to be plenty, more than enough at times. But I'm kind of a mids guy.

What are your thoughts so far on the other aspects of these two?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #125 of 126
Holy bologna, that's exactly what I'm doing now too! Modi 3, Atom, with new LCD2C's and Ananda's! I just got my RMA No. for the Audeze and will be packing them up probably tomorrow.

But I'm still deciding about the Ananda, and actually really struggling. At first i thought they were the best things I've ever heard. Then after a few days I started to think that the treble is just a bit too pronounced for me (around 8kHz or so maybe?). I like a clear but smoother high end, more like HD600 and Focal Clear (even the 99 Classics). But my ears are kinda playing tricks on me this past week, and my tinnitus also seems a bit worse than normal. I think I might be having some mild seasonal allergy congestion, or I've been listening to headphones too much lately (again, I just got the M1060C about a month ago also).

Anyway I have the Anandas on an approx 3 day burn in to see if that helps reduce the high end any. I'm all but certain I'm going to keep them, especially since I plan to fully burn them in and I'd feel kinda bad returning them after that. Worst case is that i have to eq 2-3 dB off the highest two or three bands, on days when I'm feeling more treble sensitive. There's just too much good here to let them go I think.

To your point, I actually find the bass level and punch on both to be plenty, more than enough at times. But I'm kind of a mids guy.

What are your thoughts so far on the other aspects of these two?
Cool man, while these first world headphone auditioning problems can feel stressful, I hope you're also having fun and enjoying the process.
What I appreciate about the Anandas is the instrument separation and airiness. There is also far more detail retrieval than the LCD2C. Like, I'll listen to the same song on both and hear things on the Anandas I didn't hear on the Audeze. Especially breathing, mouth noises, even a time or two I didn't realize there was a backup singer involved but I caught it in the Ananda. I'm always curious what the next song will sound like on the Ananda. However, when I find a song I like, I then want to put on the LCD2C and turn up the volume to actually enjoy the music. I think that says something right there. These cans, potentially, have different roles. Which of course is frustrating, because I wish one headphone could do it all for me.
Neither quite satisfy me in the bass department. I ordered a Lyr 3 amp. I'm hoping the extra current can help differentiate them more in this department.

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #126 of 126
The LCD-4 is a masterpiece - good luck finding one under $1800.

$1800?? Where have you seen a used pair of LCD-4 for $1800?

I have a pair with custom blood wood ear cups (and an LCD-3 with “cinnamon bun” cups, LCDi4, iSine20, EL-8 Ti, and Mobius). The LCD-4 is the best I’ve ever heard. It’s a $4K headphone. Who would sell it used for $1800 unless it had major damage to it?

88482D68-CB74-497D-A32B-348CFE63A2C7.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back