Planar with tuning similar to LCD-3 but lighter?
May 16, 2022 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Poganin

1000+ Head-Fier
Is there any other planar magnetic headphone with sound signature resembling the LCD-3? I loved the way it sounded, but I had to sell it because its weight and clamp force were giving me nightmarish headaches.

I'm looking for something warm, laid-back, with natural vocal presentation.

May 18, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 12
Just wanted to drop in and say, I love your Kashell profile pic.

Valkyrie Profile is one of my top 10 fave games of all time.

May 18, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 12
Is there any other planar magnetic headphone with sound signature resembling the LCD-3? I loved the way it sounded, but I had to sell it because its weight and clamp force were giving me nightmarish headaches.

I'm looking for something warm, laid-back, with natural vocal presentation.
Clamp on the LCD-3? That's surprising. Did you have one with the original single headstrap or the later model with the suspension headband.

May 18, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 12
Clamp on the LCD-3? That's surprising. Did you have one with the original single headstrap or the later model with the suspension headband.
The one with suspension headband. But it had really thick and hard earpads. Well, I'm not really sure if it was the clamp or the weight that was giving me headaches. I lean towards the latter, because I sometimes get a headache from wearing my Atticus.

May 18, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 12
Just wanted to drop in and say, I love your Kashell profile pic.

Valkyrie Profile is one of my top 10 fave games of all time.
I'm surprised it was recognised! But, yes, despite the botched up translation in some places, it's a great game. You, sir (or madam), have great taste in games.

May 19, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 12
Sorry, I don't know what to suggest. I hope somebody who has experience with more planars will chime in.

May 19, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 12
Doesn't really exist.

Maybe look at the Audioqiest headphone, or dynamics like Sony Z1R, ZMF Aoelus, Atticus.

Most planars aren't like the LCD3...

May 19, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 12
the hifiman he-r10p is a choice. smooth vocals and upper mids kinda recessed like the lcd 3. Very expensive though.
That's way outside my budget, but I thank you for the suggestion all the same.

May 19, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 12
Our GX is considerably lighter and cheaper than the LCD-3, and is somewhat derivative to our standard LCD house sound. Perhaps not on the same level as the LCD-3, but it is still a solid choice, and responds to EQ well if you want it closer to the LCD-3 sound.

For those with clamp issues, I always say to lengthen the headband size a few notches above what you think is a tight fit, so it sits a little more loose, and won't clamp as hard.

Regarding clamping force on LCD headphones:

-Clamping force is NOT adjustable on the carbon fiber headband. Attempting this may break the band, and is not covered by warranty.

-On models with the spring steel band, clamping can be adjust slightly up or down by carefully exerting some force on the steel part of the headband only, in the direction you want to adjust. Do not attempt to adjust by putting force on the yokes/rods, earcups or adjustment blocks (with the Audeze "A" logo on them), as this may cause damage not covered by warranty.

If you want to tighten clamping force, we suggest removing the earcups first by taking out the nylon screws at the tops of the yoke rods. When you put them back in, make sure they are only finger-tight, since using a screwdriver can break the screws.

x5DH5JGtfkFXF5YZifA8ixUzA

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 12
If r10p is too expensive.....what about the dan clark ether 2? Lightweight, smooth sounding like the lcd 3. The frequency responce looks pretty similar too.
Yeah, Ether 2 is closer to what I'm ready to pay. Thank you for reminding me it exists. I will see if I can audition it where I live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back