Planar Magnetic Headphones - Ear Pressure?
Mar 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lamb-Audio

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Audeze LCD-2.1 headphones. They sound great, but I find that they put pressure on my ears when I'm wearing them, even when the music is off (and they aren't even plugged in.)

To explain what I mean: If you fully cover the entrance of your ear canal with a finger, you feel a slight pressure inside your ear -- that's exactly the feeling I get when I put them on. If I cover the headphone vents with my hands while the headphones are on, the effect is even greater. After several hours of listening to music, my ears will sometimes ache.

I don't know if this is related to the fact that there are magnetic drivers, but I've never had an issue with non-planar magnetic headphones, and I've used Sennheiser headphones a lot in the past.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar with these kinds of headphones.

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 6
Interesting. Is there anything you've found that helps? I'm surprised that there's a suction effect since they're open air headphones, but that could be it.

Do you think it's unrelated to the planar driver?

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 6
I think it's most likely the earpads.  I've tried the velour and pleather pads with the open backed HE-400 planar magnetic, and it doesn't give that effect.  The closed-back Mad Dog 3.2 planar magnetic doesn't quite give that effect either.  I dunno why the Audeze pads do that specifically, but I'm guessing it's the sheer size of the cavity within the pads.

I can't confirm this, but you might try the Audeze velour pads, they might help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back