Planar IEM recommendations
Sep 9, 2022 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Carrow

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone got good recommendations for planar IEMs in the sub-$200 bracket? Want to consider my options. Tried the Monolith Monoprice M350s and I did like them but the ear hooks made using them a hassle. I'd love to give a different pair a shot as I love the idea of planar IEMs but my first go with them yielded sub-par results. 'If they don't fit, they sound like s**t' and all that. Tips please, deals encouraged, even try selling me your stuff from classifieds if you want, I'll have a look! :)

Sep 9, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 28
I believe Tangzu's Zetian Wu is getting very good marks right now, but as I'm researching this subject right now myself, I'm interested to see what some other suggestions will be.

Sep 9, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 28
I believe Tangzu's Zetian Wu is getting very good marks right now, but as I'm researching this subject right now myself, I'm interested to see what some other suggestions will be.

There are several on the cusp of release at the moment so I’d wait. I’m curious about the Zetian Wu as well, but with so many others pending a wait and see stance seems like the best course of action.

That said, if the OP absolutely has to have a planar right now? I’d spring for either the S12 or the Hook-X. Others will suggest the Timeless, no doubt, but rumor has it that 7hz has a new version of it pending as well.

Sep 9, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 28
Sine series? How cheap are they going these days?

Sep 9, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 28
There are several on the cusp of release at the moment so I’d wait.
I believe Kinera is planning something, but what else is there in the planar department? You said "many others", so I'm guessing there have been quite a few announcements/rumours?

Sep 9, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 28
I believe Kinera is planning something, but what else is there in the planar department? You said "many others", so I'm guessing there have been quite a few announcements/rumours?

Dunu has a planar hybrid coming. Kinera’s is already out as is the CCA PLA13. Moondrop has a planar IEM on the way. 7hz is said to have a Timeless 2 in the wings. There are a couple others I’m forgetting about right now.

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 28
Timeless and Letshuoer S12/Z12 is the best among chifi Planar IEMs till now. Couldn't find any review of the Zetian Wu, so didn't take the risk of getting one.
Be the first and do a review of it! :p

Sep 11, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 28
I've also been looking to dip a toe into planar IEM's. It seems to me the Timeless and Hook-x are the two best performers in this (or maybe any?) price bracket. As others have mentioned 7hz supposedly has a Timeless v2 coming out soon. But if your budget has a hard ceiling at $200, the Timeless v1 is on sale for exactly $200 at Hifigo right now. (I could be wrong but I'm assuming the v2 is going to be released at either the same or higher MSRP as the v1's)

I personally think I've settled on the Hook-x, but that's primarily because I think the tuning will compliment and contrast with my other IEM's better than the 7hz. There seem to be a lot of decent reviews and planar shootouts on youtube at the moment. You always have to be careful with youtube reviewer stuff, but it's another data point at least.

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #15 of 28
S12 sounds good, but I've had to send two sets back with identical and horrible driver flex. I've also noticed on eBay two sellers mentioning in their description the same issue when selling their used sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back