Places to visit/see in New York City?
Feb 22, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #16 of 40
I think that if you're at NYC, you should not just do the 'touristy' things. The village is truly where it's at!

As far as normal stuff goes, definitely check out MoMA - a beautiful new building and an excellent Munch exhibit just opened. Check out Central Park and take a walk around Time Square.

Blah, blah, blah
biggrin.gif

But then take a 1, 2, or 3 downtown and get off somewhere fun. If you're into jazz, hit up Fat Cat, Smalls, Tonic, or the 55 Bar. If you're into food (who isn't?
biggrin.gif
), then definitely make sure to stop by at the Israeli and Korean offerings. Chickpea is a popular stop for Israeli food - some of the best in the world, and VERY cheap. Korean, well, that's more of an open game. But I would bet that any Korean restaurant on the lower East side is going to give you a run for your money and will indeed make your taste buds light up.

And remember: Up and Down are streets, left and right are aves
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #17 of 40
The MOMA, definitely!

I'm going to suggest a trip to Brooklyn, though! Take an F train to 7th Ave, Park Slope, and bask in the many wonderful restaurants of 7th Ave! Once you're through eating, head up to Prospect Park, which was actually designed by the same person as Central Park... it's actually about 1/2 the size! There's a lovely historical district of Park Slope along the park, as you make your way to Grand Army Plaza. Hard to miss, it's a HUGE arch with horses and stuff right near the Library! Do a quick search of it, it's very cool.

Be sure to check out the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens too, they're on the other side of the park and are my FAVORITE place in NYC. The Brooklyn Museum is about a stone's throw away from Grand Army Plaza as well.

Oh, and while you're on 7th ave... take a moment to bask in the knowledge that all Grado headphones are made on that very street.

Feb 22, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #19 of 40
Eat at some famous and landmark restaurants.

Serendipity
Katz's Deli
Nobu
Gray's Papaya

Feb 22, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 40
if you are in times square, keep walking north to 48th street and take a right heading east. you will hit a block lined with awesome music stores on both sides. "musician's alley" is great for a candy-store type run through some awesome gear. Don't skip Rudy's and Manny's for that awesome acoustic and electric (and vintage) vibe. if you want to buy something tho, just pop into a Sam Ash and pick up something you know they buy in bulk, like strings. Even if you don't play, just hang out a bit and eventually someone will tear into a nice riff or two - or you can even ask the guy behind the counter to do it for you if you're shy!

oh and on times square, walk south to, uh, 40th street? the block just south of that Red Lobster - you'll find the nerdiest store there, Midtown Comics. revel in the geekdom that stays true to the tenets of yo mama's basement even in the middle of the gentrified times square!

Feb 22, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
if you are in times square, keep walking north to 48th street and take a right heading east. you will hit a block lined with awesome music stores on both sides. "musician's alley" is great for a candy-store type run through some awesome gear. Don't skip Rudy's and Manny's for that awesome acoustic and electric (and vintage) vibe. if you want to buy something tho, just pop into a Sam Ash and pick up something you know they buy in bulk, like strings. Even if you don't play, just hang out a bit and eventually someone will tear into a nice riff or two - or you can even ask the guy behind the counter to do it for you if you're shy!

oh and on times square, walk south to, uh, 40th street? the block just south of that Red Lobster - you'll find the nerdiest store there, Midtown Comics. revel in the geekdom that stays true to the tenets of yo mama's basement even in the middle of the gentrified times square!

another thing to do if you're in Times Square is to head over to 9th avenue (aka Restarant Row). a whole slew of excellent pre- and post-theater restaurants, that most of the tourists seem to miss. Uncle Nick's has excellent Greek food. and there's a great cheese shop, too.

oh, and my favorite Italian restaurant in the city is Esca, at 43rd and 9th. it's a Mario Batali joint, which pretty much guarantees its yummy goodness.

Esca's specialty is "crudo," which is raw fish in different exotic oils and sea salts. the fish they serve is often caught that day by the chef himself, David Pasternack, on his own boat. the wine selection is fantabulous, and i always leave with a big smile on my face.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #22 of 40
Ick, I have a bad habit of posting things and then completely forgetting about them. Thanks for the suggestions though.
etysmile.gif

I'm going to be staying in Times Square, so visiting Times Square will not be a problem.
biggrin.gif
There have been a few suggestions for music/record stores, any others that I should know about? Also, are there any very high end audio stores? I might visit Red Rose's showroom.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler
Ick, I have a bad habit of posting things and then completely forgetting about them. Thanks for the suggestions though.
etysmile.gif

I'm going to be staying in Times Square, so visiting Times Square will not be a problem.
biggrin.gif
There have been a few suggestions for music/record stores, any others that I should know about? Also, are there any very high end audio stores? I might visit Red Rose's showroom.

While in Times Square, check out the ESPN Zone, Virgin store perhaps a Broadway show and/or anything else that looks interesting.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler
etysmile.gif

biggrin.gif
There have been a few suggestions for music/record stores, any others that I should know about?

you should definitely check out Other Music, on E. 4th St. at Lafayette, in the heart of the Village. it's sort of the megastore of independent record stores. a couple of folks opened it across the street from Tower Records when they realized that Tower charges ridiculous prices and never had any of the albums they were looking for.

Quote:

Also, are there any very high end audio stores? I might visit Red Rose's showroom.

Red Rose audio? definitely avoid that place like the plague. it's Mark Levinson's sad attempt to rebadge chinese audio components and quadruple the price on them.

Mar 9, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #26 of 40
Depends....who are you?
MOMA is great for art lovers
CBGS is a legendary place where punk rock has its roots
Rockefeller plaza early in the morning live taping of the today show , I have seen many many live outdoor shows there (while I was supposed to be working) from britney spears to tom petty
Anywhere in the village is always entertaining...all walks of life merge there.
Times square is cool anytime of the day or night everything you can think of is there. (did you ever wanna meet the naked cowboy ? ...me neither but hes there )
Harlem is another adventure , if you feel adventurous.
Central park ...take a horse and carriage ride ..enjoy traffic and smell horse poop all at once!
Wall street , be amazed at how many buissness people cram themselves into this man made canyon of concrete and glass.
Chinatown....you can buy a ton of really crappy stuff there that breaks immediately , Rolex watch $12 , mp3 player $12 , Tommy halfnigger joggin suit $12 , statue of liberty doll $12 .
St patricks cathedral... Its a direct link to heaven I think.

But the most fantastic place of all (to me )is the lipstick building....few New Yorkers know of it....The hottest most beautiful , drop dead gorgeous women on the planet are there. Its the headquarters for a bunch of Modeling agencies and Revlon , Maybelline, ect. I have worked in this building many times and its my favorite place in New York , and the rest of the planet. I have a great breakfast / lunch table in the concoruse of that building. I wont tell you any more.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
Red Rose audio? definitely avoid that place like the plague. it's Mark Levinson's sad attempt to rebadge chinese audio components and quadruple the price on them.

Possibly, but my dad has a Red Rose amp for his stereo, and in my opinion, it sounds incredible. Oh, and he bought it used for half the retail price, so he only paid half of what Levinson overcharges.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #28 of 40
Well I got back from New York today. I had a great time despite having the flu and being forced to sleep through a fair amount of the trip. Of places worth noting, I went to the Empire State Building, Central Park, MoMA, Museum of Natural History, NY Public Library, and Grand Central Station. I really didn't get around to visiting all the places I wanted to go to, but, well, I was sick.
rolleyes.gif
But despite that, it was a very good trip. I hope I can go back sometime soon.
k1000smile.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #29 of 40
oh man, i hate being sick on vacation... and it always happens to me.

still, sounds like you got see a decent amount, and the weather has been pretty darn good. did you go out to eat at all or see any shows?

what was your favorite place? what'd you think of the city in general?

Mar 17, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #30 of 40
For next time, and for future visitors, do yourself a favor and take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. Best bang-for-your-buck sightseeing experience there is in NYC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back