Place to get a Cheap Record Player
Mar 4, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 8
Look for a used Dual, Technics or Thorens locally at swap meets and thrift stores.

See ya
Steve

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by simplechords /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone point me to a cheap, but decent record player.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/low...source-228059/

best off looking locally in classified ads, craigslist etc or else searching ebay with the proximity filter set so you can go and collect in person.

Turntables don't travel well unless expertly packed.

Audiogon is worth checking depending on your definition of cheap
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 8
They turn up on Craigslist, too.

One of the best ways is to make friends with your local Salvation Army, Goodwill or other thrift store. Donate old clothes (or anything else) and mention to the manager that you're looking for a turntable and pass along your e-mail or number. They'll let you know when one comes in.

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 8
I found a "broken" Technics belt drive table on Craigslist for $5. Ended up just needing a new belt.

Replaced the belt for about $10, put on a Grado Black cartridge from TTVJ, and I have an "OK" table setup for about $90. Also have a few dollars in a protractor, brushes, cleaning supplies, etc, which take me closer to $130 or so.

The table doesn't keep very accurate speed though -- I'm guessing the caps on the motor control board need replaced. I haven't gotten around to it.

The short story is: Used tables are fun but will definitely take a bit of work in most cases.

Mar 7, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They turn up on Craigslist, too.

One of the best ways is to make friends with your local Salvation Army, Goodwill or other thrift store. Donate old clothes (or anything else) and mention to the manager that you're looking for a turntable and pass along your e-mail or number. They'll let you know when one comes in.

Fantastic advice. This is exactly how I would do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back