PL50 or PL30 or RE2
Aug 30, 2009 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hellzlegend

New Head-Fier
Which one?
I listen to all genres. Mostly pop. What's the best one for me? The only issue with pl50 is the money. Trying to stay around $35 range. Any help is appreciated.

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 9
I think the PL30 is the only one that will keep you under $35. RE2 needs a warm amp for pop, but will sound very good once amped.

So, soundiwise I'd say Amped RE2 > PL50 > PL30 > unamped RE2.

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 9
What's your source? Because of the low impedance (12 ohms), and high sensitivity - the PL30's will hiss dependent on the source. I gave mine away because they hissed with my phone - and my fiio E5 amp.

A good, low cost option - and ljokerl can comment as well, might be the Meelectronics Ai-M9 from newegg.com or overstock.com for about $20 shipped. I love my pair - there's a detailed thread about them.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PolloLoco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your source? Because of the low impedance (12 ohms), and high sensitivity - the PL30's will hiss dependent on the source. I gave mine away because they hissed with my phone - and my fiio E5 amp.

A good, low cost option - and ljokerl can comment as well, might be the Meelectronics Ai-M9 from newegg.com or overstock.com for about $20 shipped. I love my pair - there's a detailed thread about them.

Usually psp or ipod.
How's the isolation on the PL50 and PL30 compared to RE2?

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by hellzlegend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usually psp or ipod.
How's the isolation on the PL50 and PL30 compared to RE2?

Being a straight-barrel IEM, the RE2 has the natural tendency to isolate more, especially with the rather good silicone biflanges. PL30 with the foam or biflange tips or PL50 with foam or Sony Hybrid tips can get about 80-90% of that.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being a straight-barrel IEM, the RE2 has the natural tendency to isolate more, especially with the rather good silicone biflanges. PL30 with the foam or biflange tips or PL50 with foam or Sony Hybrid tips can get about 80-90% of that.

Can the PL50 fit Shure Olives?

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by hellzlegend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the PL50 fit Shure Olives?

No, it can't. If you want to use olives you will have to slip some olive foam onto one of the cores from the stock soundmagic foam tips (the olive de-core mod).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back