PL50 dead, should I get Xears TDIIII... Ultraphile....
Dec 8, 2011 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

yolan

New Head-Fier
HI guys
Although this is my first post, I've been reading you for some time
wink_face.gif

My pair of SoundMagic PL50 died yesterday.. and I've been sneaking around the forum trying to decide if I should go for another pair of PL50's or else.. but man!!.. things have changed a lot since I bought my babies a year and a half ago!!!

I was almost convinced to get the Xears TDIII because they get such fantastic reviews, but then I saw these Xears Ultraphile for sale... not many reviews yet, though
What should I do?? I need some advice..
How do the TDIII and Ultraphile compare to PL50? Are they far superior?
For the record, I hate sibilance. With PL30 I noticed a lot of sibilance and I thus changed to PL50.. much better. Also the PL50 are SO VERY comfortable..

Any other suggestion around $50?

I'd appreciate any help, I'm really confused
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 15
MEelectronic A151, got them recently and i have had PL50, i really like both, the meelec's have a slightly warmer tone, and are not quite as comfy, but i shall get some Shure olives to improve comfort i think. The bass and highs both extend better than the PL50. You would like them i think.
They go for 40USD on amazon.

Regards

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 15
Hi HeatFan12

I listen to a variety of music styles: rock, pop, and a lot of classical too lately... you see, I need an all-track :)

They will be plugged into a cowon IAudio7, no amps.

I had a pair of senn cx-300 (impressed everyone the first time, but  now I just use them for audiobooks, don't like them any more...)
I also have PL30 and PL50, the latter being the best IEMs I ever had (an the most expensive too)... even lacking some bass ther overall sound is so clear...

I may stay with the inferior PL30 until soundmagic realeases ther "E50" or whatever name they gonna give their PL50 successor
etysmile.gif

Also read a lot about the Xears... they seem to always be on sale, I might give those a try cause they're quite cheap for the reported SQ, but really can't -decide... life was way easier back then, when IEMs were really expensive and only a few low-cost pieces were available and worthy
rolleyes.gif

aaahhh, I just don't know...

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #10 of 15
Well randomkid and nipit recommended some good ones.  I am a Xears, MEE and VSONIC fan (as well as a few others..lol).  Recently got into VSONIC and am loving them...Great all-rounders in my opinion.  I also own the PL30s and E10 from SM.  I am still looking for the bass on the PL30s, might be on vacation, but hopefully will return for Christmas...lol.....Once I put on the guides and the fit was good, I like them, however, I do like more bass.

The GR06s are a great choice.  I started a thread on them ("My Vsonic collection....) if you want to take a look...

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 15
the A151 has more bass than PL50. Also check out soundmagic E30

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #15 of 15
I can also vouch for the GR06, £32 on Frogbeats! The A151 are also a great choice too though but they're BA IEMs though so the bass may be slightly light for you. I've not got the A151 but I'm guessing the GR06 will have more bass and the A151 will have slightly more detail.

They will both fit nicely, comfrtably and with decent isolation though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back