PL 30, strange impression
Mar 10, 2010 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

lerio

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, i just get my PL 30 and i have Mitigate impression, i want to say my point of view and wait for you reply to understand what's wrong...

This is my first ever IEM, so maybe i discover a new way of listening music on headphone, but when i first ear them (with my Sansa clip + both radio and mp3) i get a rather bad impression (mostly due to all the Fantastic comments i've read here and elsewhere too)

First sensation was : sound is really too much like from getting out a small enclosed box, Really...

Second was is that the sound have Too Much high frequency !!

I try a quick comparaison (even if it's not possible to compare different kind of headphone but i have no other way to compare, so i try Koss porta pro and the headphone sent with Sansa clip +.

Compare to Koss porta pro i'll say: i prefer Porta 10 time more...he sound with More bass (too much then?..) but if i'll have to note (Only to try to help you understand what i feel about this IEM and ask if you think i just get a bad serie or if IEM are really another world compare to "normal" headphone) i'll say PL30 2/20 and 15/20 for Porta...
ph34r.gif

Compare to Sansa headphone given with my Sansa Clip +: LESS sensation of music come from a "small enclosed box", compare to PL 30, i'll almost say no sensation of that kind with Sansa headphone at all compare to PL30..., and with Sansa headphone the sound don't have too much high frequency at all..., again my note will be PL30 2/20, Sansa headphone 9/20

I'll tested the bass button, that change a little...

Bad serie or discover a new world ?
redface.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 18
I dont have the portapro to compare to my PL30's but compared to my Koss ksc75 and others including RE0 the first thing I noticed about pl30 was the deep bass in comparison to what Ive been used to ( and I had k518dj so i know big bass), and, as you mention, the high frquencies, they also struck me as having a very full sound with a wide soundstage for an IEM. At first I was really impressed but they now seem a bit boomy and lacking in subtlety compared to RE0, but I still like them, voices sound lovely on them too.
Never ceases to amaze me how utterly different headphones can sound and also how our opinion of sound can change so quickly, all part of the fun I suppose.

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 18
I think i find the reason, the eartips
biggrin.gif
, i just test others and Wow this is a Sound, i used the Short one i found on PL30, but with bigger and Deeper i get a total differente sound, they was not in my ear but on border, i need to buy some better Ear Tip (deeper !!)

Does Etymotic tri-flanges are compatible with PL30 ??
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think i find the reason, the eartips
biggrin.gif
, i just test others and Wow this is a Sound, i used the Short one i found on PL30, but with bigger and Deeper i get a total differente sound, they was not in my ear but on border, i need to buy some better Ear Tip (deeper !!) maybe Etymotic tri-flanges
wink.gif

Might try the deeper tips on mine then, the ones that were fitted already fit my ears nicely but they dont go in very deep or isolate much.

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 18
Just test with my Etymotic ER-20 (made only for protect Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•20 High Fidelity Earplugs ) but i tried to remove the eartips of it and put it on PL30 and look like it's impossbile to fit..
confused_face.gif

Any recomendation for a tri-flanges who fit on PL 30 ? if possible from big label so i can buy it in France, just can't wait now to purchase them on US online store, i want to enjoy my PL30 today
jecklinsmile.gif
jecklinsmile.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Just test with my Etymotic ER-20 (made only for protect Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•20 High Fidelity Earplugs ) but i tried to remove the eartips of it and put it on PL30 and look like it's impossbile to fit..
confused_face.gif

Any recomendation for a tri-flanges who fit on PL 30 ? if possible from big label so i can buy it in France, just can't wait now to purchase them on US online store, i want to enjoy my PL30 today
jecklinsmile.gif
jecklinsmile.gif

Sounds like youre getting a very bad fit from them, im suprised none of the supplied tips are working for you, you should be getting a sound from them almost as good ( though very different) as the portapro and a good seal.
Anyway here my experience ends and I hope someone else can offer some advice about tri-flanges.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkmoon1972 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like youre getting a very bad fit from them, im suprised none of the supplied tips are working for you, you should be getting a sound from them almost as good ( though very different) as the portapro and a good seal.

Only one give a good result, it's a black double flanges who get deformed by transport or bad conditioning, anyway as i compare to other eartips on the box i understand that my problem was the IEM was not in ear, so double flanges are good but triple will for sure give a better result, that's why i try to find one Compatible with PL 30 which don't seem so easy for now :
PL 30 need eartips with a hole of 5 mm (compare to the hole of my Etymotic ER 20 i just talk above who have a 2 mm hole...)

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 18
When I had PL-50s, my favourite eartips were Sony Hybrids, also known as EPEX10A. Maybe you can find them in a Sony store?

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I had PL-50s, my favourite eartips were Sony Hybrids, also known as EPEX10A. Maybe you can find them in a Sony store?

Sony's earbud look like one of those i have on my PL 30 package (short rounded) and only a kind of bi-flanges i also have on the package make my PL 30 sound good

I don't know if it's this IEM who are not made for go deep inside or if my ear need a more longer earbud but i feel that if i find a deeper earbud the sound will be just fine..

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 18
eartips not earbuds...

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by murfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A problem with the fit maybe? Not inserted far enough or a good enough seal?

Definitely yes, not inserted far enough, i can't compare with other IEM as it's my first one (maybe other member here can tell their point of view) but to me it's either this IEM who are not long enough, either the form of my ear who cause problem to place this IEM well
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Definitely yes, not inserted far enough, i can't compare with other IEM as it's my first one (maybe other member here can tell their point of view) but to me it's either this IEM who are not long enough, either the form of my ear who cause problem to place this IEM well
confused_face(1).gif

Probably a silly question but you are wearing them over the ear and not straight down arent you?

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

jecklinsmile.gif
jecklinsmile.gif

Try the Meelec M11 tip set. They come with a biflange and a triflange tip as well as 3 other single flange tips.

MEElectronics Original Eartips for M11 Earphones (5 pieces set) (Black)

I had them sent to australia and they cost $4.95 + $6.95 post.
Only took about a week.

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkmoon1972 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably a silly question but you are wearing them over the ear and not straight down arent you?

Not a silly question
biggrin.gif
, answer is yes, as i see that on the picture of the package i thought they was made for be using like that, but you're right, now placed normaly they it better
tongue.gif
, but ... then it's not easy to pick a part of them to remove them...

Is it just me or those IEM are short ?? look like most of other IEM are longer no ?..

So yes now it's better but with a bi or tri flange eartips they'll be more easy to remove

Thank's
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back