Pixies Surfer Rosa MFSL SACD
Jun 23, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #16 of 24
Wow! I might have to get myself a sacd player! And I completely agree with markl's assessment that the pixies have influenced alot of music, and especially Nirvana. Smells Like Teen Spirit is essentially a rip off of the Pixies' Gouge Away... but then what isn't a rip off nowadays?

Jun 23, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #17 of 24
I pre-ordered this from Amazon.ca, and shipping has been delayed. I'm really looking forward to this!

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #18 of 24
The "Surfer Rosa" SACD sounds great indeed. Now please bring on "Doolittle!"

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you own it? it sounds like you have it. unfortunately i can't get too excited about it, because Doolittle is just so much better, and has such a better track list.

i'm 19, and i would say the pixies still sound very fresh in light of a host of "modern" bands. a few of the tracks belie the 80s influence, but not in a bad way really. i like the 80s quite a lot, and it's a shame i didn't get into the pixies earlier.

The Pixies have never sounded "80's" to me .. they sounded (and still do) like the future. One of the few bands from that era that remain timeless.

-jar

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by lator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have this SACD version of MFSL and I think it is one of the dullest and worst remasters they have ever made. I do not have SACD player though so my experience is with the redbook layer only. Then again I guess the original masters are not that good anyway...

Have you ever heard a Steve Albini recording before? I remember folks being similarly perplexed about the sound of IN UTERO when it came out.

-jar

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by lator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have this SACD version of MFSL and I think it is one of the dullest and worst remasters they have ever made. I do not have SACD player though so my experience is with the redbook layer only. Then again I guess the original masters are not that good anyway...

yeah, you should try this album again on a dedicated SACD transport if you can.
This SACD is great, but the original LP still bests the dynamic range and open nature of this recording, for these ears anyway.

Nice heads up Markl, on it as usual

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pixies have never sounded "80's" to me .. they sounded (and still do) like the future. One of the few bands from that era that remain timeless.

-jar

not to mention, when you dig beneath the surface, "sounding 80s" isn't a bad thing at all.

i can think of many craptacular acts of today who would be wise to spend a little time spinning the indy rockers of two decades past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back