Pitchfork's top 50 for 2004
Dec 30, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #31 of 46
hopham / silent - yup, I agree with everything you guys said. It's definitely a good place to find out about interesting small bands you'd probably never hear of...but once I have done, I generally go and look at the reviews they got everywhere *else* before actually buying the record
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #32 of 46
I'm lucky enough to be able to receive nearly specifically every single album that is pretty much reviewed by Pictchfork through my radio station. And yes, I do milk it for all its worth lol. But if I was making buying decisions it would be much tougher. Much much tougher to trust Pitchfork for anything. But yes, about the Sufjan. That's a tough one to pick between the two. They are both exceptional. Seven Swans is much more stripped down folky whereas Michigan was more folk pop with some larger arrangements. Bad descriptors but I'm tired lol. Anyways, if you enjoyed Michigan you will almost definitely enjoy Seven Swans but it is much more subdued in its presentation but I think thats why people were able to enjoy it so much as it wasn't just B-sides from Michigan because it truthfully isn't. It's a complete new album that is able to stand on its own. But lets see...if I had to pick one I would probably pick Michigan because it is a bit more varied. However, I would not be able to live knowing that Seven Swans exists with some of the incredible songs on there. First time I heard "To Be Alone With You" and "Abraham" and "That Dress Looks Nice On You" etc. I was just floored, it was great.

Dec 31, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #33 of 46
A Ghost is Born is better than all those albums. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. PF ****ed that up.

Dec 31, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #34 of 46
I think you bring up some nice points, Silentperfection. I'm a bit sheepish about acknowledging how much of an influence Pitchfork has had on my music collection but the truth is that they're a pretty great resource for finding music that otherwise doesn't get talked about in the major music publications. I also believe that their lists are not quite as preachy and sanctimonious as other publications due to the fact that they are a compliation of like 25 writers (with varying tastes) individual lists. Of course, they have to call them their "best albums" of '04, but what I read it as is the Pitchfork writers' tastes in '04. Don't like the albums? Find another list. No need to feel offended or embarassed; if I read a list of the "best Celtic music of '04" and didn't recognize any names, that would only prove that I don't really enjoy celtic music, not that those Celtic music listeners are a bunch of pretentious bastards.

Between Pitchfork, www.allmusic.com, and www.allofmp3.com, I've discovered a lot of music that I enjoy for not a whole lot of money or effort. That's why I appreciate Pitchfork, not because it makes me feel cool (if anything I feel a bit embarassed about it because of the reputation it gets as a "hipster" publication).

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #36 of 46
Wow. After lurking on this bbs for the last few months or so, I didn't realize so many people had similiar tastes like mine. I agree with a couple of the earlier posters that this year was a weak year, but maybe I'm just getting old and cranky. Couldn't get into many of Pitchfork's top 50. Much of the stuff they gives good ratings sounds like stuff I heard 10/15/20 years ago, but not as good. But I learned long ago to take anything Pitchfork says with a grain of salt.

I DID love Sonic Youth's "Sonic Nurse". Also tops for me was Loretta Lynn's "Van Lear Rose", Brian Wilson's "Smile", Green Day's "American Idiot" and there are others that I can't name off hand. Most of this year was going back and rediscovering old stuff: Bowie, Big Star, Black Sabbath, Pennywise.

The huge saving grace of the year from me was Indie 103.1 coming on the air here in Southern California, giving a shot of much needed life to the the barren wasteland of radio. I LOOOOOVEEEE this station. Jone's Jukebox? Watusi Rodeo? Yummy, yummy... They stream online too: http://www.indie1031.fm

A hearty hello to everyone here. This forum is extremely addicting. I've learned so much about the world of headphones, I'm indebted to you all.

Happy new year,

-pat

Jan 4, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

I saw Sufjan mentioned. What do you guys think about "Seven Swans" compared to "Michigan?" I'm probably going to end up buying it anyways but just wanted to see some thoughts.

Both are good, but i personally prefer seven swans. It seems to be a matter of preferance though, seven swans seems to be more of a traditional folk album than michigan. It also has more of a religious tone than michigan, if you find that bothersome.

Jan 4, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
In the interest of making myself look like an idiot, who are these people? I have never heard of 99.9999% of them, and these are supposed to be the best of 2004?

Indie stuff. Maybe i'llg et around to that genre in the next ten years
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Indie stuff. Maybe i'llg et around to that genre in the next ten years
biggrin.gif

Once you realize that what record companies are trying to sell you through the radio, MTV and Clear Channel, this stuff becomes the pop stuff. I love some of it and I hate some of it, but it's really the honest music of this generation.

Jan 5, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #41 of 46
silent perfection and Ebonyks, thanks for the words on Seven Swans. Folkier, a little less varied -- I think I have a hold on what to expect.

And silentperfection, if you ever get tired of receiving those albulms, send them my way.

Jan 6, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #43 of 46
http://www.somethingawful.com/fake/richdork/

This is pretty funny... however you look at it. For example:
talking about the new Radiohead album.
Quote:

So how do I review such an inherently perfect, flawless recording? It would be unfair of me to simply state, "this CD is perfection in the literal sense of the word," as that would not give such a masterpiece the sufficient praise it deserves. Putting this disc into your stereo and listening to it is like having the saints pee liquid gold into your ears. A beautiful, flowing, melodic wall of sound embraces you like the mother you never had because she was a filthy whore.

ROFL
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #45 of 46
what, your mother's a whore? Well, I'm sorry to hear...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back