Pitchfork's top 50 for 2004
Dec 22, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by hop ham
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/top/2004/index.shtml

What do you guys think of the list?

I think that "The Streets" was ranked a little high at 3 and "The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat" is my favorite for 2004 right now. There seems to be a lot of albulms on the list that I missed this year.

Blueberry Boat is my best for 2004. Not too sure about their number one pick though--I've had it for a few weeks and think it's just OK (I don't want to spoil the surprise for everyone). I like the Streets first album much better.

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by hop ham
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/top/2004/index.shtml

What do you guys think of the list?

made me realize what a crappy year this was
eek.gif
eggosmile.gif

Dec 23, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 46
I only have two albums in their top 10 (Blueberry and Smile)... not sure if that's something I'm happy about (this being pitchfork) or sad about (am I missing out?). Meh, my most played album of the year was modest mouse's, and I didn't even like it all that much... 2004 just didn't do it for me. I'll give my #1 to Usher
tongue.gif

Dec 24, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 46
eh, pretty standard fare for a pitchfork list, with a tendancy to support indie acts with commerical success. Notice that the modest mouse in the list got below an 8.0 when compared to several others on the list with ratings in the mid 9's.

At this point, pitchfork is more calling what's "cool" than what's actually decent music.

And for the records, there's no excuse for kanye west's college dropout to not be in the top 10

Dec 24, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 46
I was very surprised to see Ghostface in the top 10. The Pretty Toney Album got some decent reviews but it wasn't seen as anything great. Guess it was just that slow of a year. Good things though were definitely the high marks to Madvillainy and A Grand Don't Come For Free.

PS: I obviously am mostly into hip hop, most of the rock albums I have not heard of, besides the Modest Mouse, Air, Franz, and one or two others.

Dec 24, 2004 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 46
I was quite disappointed that Mission of Burma's OnOffOn was not mentioned anywhere in the list...not only because it was a great album but because it was a much stronger comeback than SMiLE, in my opinion.

Dec 28, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 46
I think they stole the idea for that from SubPop Records, who also did a Pitchfork parody.

Dec 30, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 46
I guess that I'm uncool as well. Not only didn't I know most of the music in Pitchfork's Top 50, I had never heard of Pitchfork! I have five of the albums in their Top 50; "Scissor Sisters" - Scissor Sisters [43], "Antics" - Interpol [27], "Franz Ferdinand" - Franz Ferdinand [26], "Good News For People Who Like Bad News" - Modest Mouse [23], and "Funeral" - Arcade Fire [1]. I went through their archive of reviews and found many albums that I did know. Their reviews are a bit "artsy," but they are well written and interesting to read. Thanks for making me aware of their Top 50 and of their website publication...
cool.gif

Dec 30, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
I think they stole the idea for that from SubPop Records, who also did a Pitchfork parody.

Hey, here it is. This one is even more fun, because some of the links are actually links to funny stories.

http://www.subpop.com/features/pdork/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back