Pitchfork's and Cokemachineglow's Top 50 Albums of 2006
Dec 28, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kid A was 10 as was Ok Computer. Pitchfork sadly hires second year english majors with a hard on for the thesaurus. Most of the reviews are nothing but a whole lotta fluff. Too bad they don't hire people who actually know something about music. Though subjectivism is the nature of the reviewing beast. The more obscure the better I read in this thread and how true that is! That does not mean that obscure automatically means great, or not so great, as this also applies to mainstream. I don't agree with their ratings most of the time but the good thing is that I am introduced to bands I have never heard of. If only for this fact, that site is a gem.

Hmm... my mistake. Perhaps that was just inner rage boiling out at them.

4.9 for deloused. HA!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #32 of 47
I dont get to CMG much and maybe should because one of the major flaws with the Pitchfork list is the lack of Subtel's album... which made numero uno at CMG. However both sites number ones are very good.

Dec 28, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #33 of 47
Eh, never really was a fan of Pitchfork either. Some of this has to do with them giving one of my favorite albums a 1.9 (aholes!) and other, much less notable albums, unusually high grades. I enjoy maybe 1 out of every 10 reviews they write.

Will definitely get some of the albums mentioned just out of curiosities sake though

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #35 of 47
I'm actually pretty perplexed why so many are all gung ho over the JT album. I can't stand it, but even if I could, it seems many sites prefer one of his earlier albums... So why this thing? Maybe they are crying for a new MJ.

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YES! Joanna @ #1!! w00t for TMT!

Liars got #2!! Yeeee.

I thought that Liars was released in 2005... I would say that it was my favorite album of this year if it was indeed 2006.

Strange.

Dec 28, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #38 of 47
That Liars album is completely insane. I bought it on CD then on vinyl. Incredible bass from track #2 on the LP. Super intense!

Dec 28, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean.Perrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Liars got #2!! Yeeee.

I thought that Liars was released in 2005... I would say that it was my favorite album of this year if it was indeed 2006.

Strange.

and their description of Liars reminds me of the time i was chilling to Depeche Mode's "Never Let Me Down" in high school, when the football team came in, heard it, blasted it, and started chanting "NEVER LET ME DOWWWWWNNN" and started breaking furniture.

yeah, they just lost a game
3000smile.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #40 of 47
heh, well if strong opinion is any indication, I would say the Pitchfork list's are very successful. I've been reading their end of year lists for three years, and there has always been strong opinion for or against it. Personally, I think Pitchfork is a good thing for alt music lovers.

Most EOY lists appear about the same to me with an odd entrant or two. Or a certain work will occupy vastly different positions.
Such is critique.
cool.gif

The following is a brief history of Pitchfork list commentary on head-fi. One interesting note. Mark L has commented in every thread except the 2004 EOY (where were you Mark?) and started two of the topics himself. He is obviously a strong follower of the "know thy enemy" doctrine.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm just bustin' Mark's chops. I love reading his posts.

2005 head-fi PF EOY comments:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ight=pitchfork

2004 head-fi PF EOY comments

2003 head-fi PF EOY comments:

PF's top 100 of 80's head-fi comments:

PF's top 100 of 90's head-fi comments:

PF's top 100 of 70's head-fi comments:

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog5145 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which list do you guys like better?

Duh, the one with my favorite album of the year in their top 3, Califone's Roots and Crowns
tongue.gif

Don't know much of the rest, though. Woven Hand and Nina Nastasia shoulda been somewhere, shouldn't they? Mostly older stuff for me this year so not much of an opinion.

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If a re-release of an album that would have gotten a 6 twenty years ago gets a 9 or higher, take a drink.

This one absolutely pisses me off. Back in late 2005, they "re-reviewed" Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and gave it a 10.0 . Before this, their "old" review was a 6.8 (if I remember correctly). Here's the clincher: they took their old review off the site!!!!! Who the **** do they think they are????? They're just trying way to hard to be on the cutting edge and be the definitive word of something that's SUBJECTIVE. Idiots.

-Scott

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunuggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This one absolutely pisses me off. Back in late 2005, they "re-reviewed" Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and gave it a 10.0 . Before this, their "old" review was a 6.8 (if I remember correctly). Here's the clincher: they took their old review off the site!!!!! Who the **** do they think they are????? They're just trying way to hard to be on the cutting edge and be the definitive word of something that's SUBJECTIVE. Idiots.

-Scott

Wow, hard to believe so much anger against a music site, although I think they often foster it intentionally. But getting mad because a site has the good sense to re-evaluate and old review when an album is ceremoniously reissued seems kind of strange. And actually, the original review was a pretty high 8.7, and is still available at some places ...

Neutral Milk Hotel
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
[Merge]
Rating: 8.7
As good indie pop acts grow fewer and further between, the driving force of the underground is growing decidedly noisy and abstract. But while fab acts like Gastr del Sol, Flying Saucer Attack and Tortoise continue to pulverize traditional song structure, there's one psych-rock band making music that's just as catchy as it is frightening.

From the opening "King of Carrot Flowers," In the Aeroplane Over the Sea shifts from acoustic folkiness to loud, fast punk rock with little or no warning. It features a noisy horn section and a dreamy singin' saw, all rolled into a package that does a credible job of blending Sgt. Pepper with early 90's lo-fi.

Neutral Milk Hotel frontman Jeff Magnum writes songs that read like bad dreams. He inherits a world of cannibalism, elastic sexuality and freaks of nature. We can only assume he likes it there.

-M. Christian McDermott

But some of their writers over the years have been idiots, no disagreement there. They've had a few top notch ones too, and while I don't hardly ever stop by anymore, back in the early days before they became the defacto voice of indie rock on the web, they turned me on to some real gold, and occasionally were entertaining to boot
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #45 of 47
I browsed thru CMG's website and read their Sunn 0))) and Boris: Altar review and I came across this:

" Only it does, of course: “genre” is a way of superficially classifying things, and if something does not sound nor rock like metal, then it probably is not metal. The problem is, this is metal. The packaging so clearly identifies it as such!"

I lol'd
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back