Pissed off and kind of sad too...
Jul 18, 2005 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, here's what is rubbing me the wrong way today(bad sh** just seems to want to happen to me all the time and also applies to the crap I own for whatever cursed reason). I was at this bumpin' party Saturday, taking pics of the whole thing. Now, I should note that it's a Polaroid PDC 5070, and I initially had problems with SD card insertion, which I just figured out tonight.

I come home to upload my pics (long after the hangover is passed, whew!), and although the pics were initially intact on the camera or so I thought, as soon as I upload them, they all get corruped, and now don't upload! FRIGGIN SUCKS SO MUCH! I've used this camera on two good opportunites to get some nice pics, this last party and the last HeadFi meet, and on both occasions, alot of the pictures come out corrupted.

I checked the troubleshooting page at Polaroid for this, and it just pisses me off even further. They say to use a penny (or nickel, it's more suitable) to jam SD cards into their camera slots to obtain a decent connection. WHY DIDN'T THEY PRINT THIS IN THE screwING MANUAL?! Now I'm gonna have to figure out how to defrag or de-corrupt all these pics, and it just makes me mad as screwing hell. I'll cry when I'm done killin'.
(not literally, it's an insanely funny line from Vice City
biggrin.gif
)

#$^@$!^*! END OF RA...
Sorry.
End of rant.

Any advice on what to do about corrupted jpeg's? Is there a way to try and repair them?

frown.gif
Abe

Jul 18, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 9
I don't have photoshop, but I'll try some jpeg repair software I found, see how it does.

And yeah. I'm totally gonna send that b**ch out for replacement. Not acceptable. Just gotta wait until I have some bucks. Oh, and the reason why they suggest using a penny is because once the card is inserted, it's meant to sit flush with the surrounding surface. You either have to have long fingernails-I bite mine off- or a penny or something to insert it deep enough to get it to lock into position. If you push on it after locking, it'll spring back up all normal like. I think.

Late,
Abe

Jul 18, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 9
I feel your pain, Abe.

I haven't had problems with digital cameras but on more than one occasion with film-based SLRs, I put the roll of film in, but the gear that pulls the film out of its canister when you manually wind the film didn't catch the holes in the film. On one trip, I shot for over an hour... spectacular scenery with waterfalls... nothing nada recorded on film.

FWIW, at least you have a chance for partial recovery.

Jul 18, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 9
jamming a penny!!! What??? Yikes. Now I understand why Polaroid's reputation is what it is.

Might want to use a small screwdriver and gently pry it out(??) The CF port on my nikon is way to tight for the thickness of a penny, and it has a little eject button to do all the work.

My cousin had problems with his CF based camera and bought a USB flash reader for $10. He was able to pull his pics off the card before the camera had a chance to do any permanent damage.

Garrett

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 9
S**t happens. I remember I videotaped a family thing (party with relatives) in new jersey a few weeks ago, and when I came home, a piece of the tape melted and the thing got ******** up. I hadn't seen those people in almost 7 yrs. Luckily my dad used the cam with another tape earlier on, and I took some pics of me and the girls/guys. Still lost some real good footage. (mainly of my tiny niece and nephew, cute lil buggers)

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
I feel your pain, Abe.
FWIW, at least you have a chance for partial recovery.

Thanks, let's hope, eh? I haven't had any luck as of yet, and I believe I may also have my batch of the last headRoom meet's photos to repair as well, if only I can do it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
jamming a penny!!! What??? Yikes. Now I understand why Polaroid's reputation is what it is.

Yeah. Go here. I freaking hate the idea of it myself, and even though it does work, if the camera is jarred, the SD card usually has to be adjusted(I'm using a Kingmax Platinum 256MB, available at newgg.com) after the camera shuts off- if I don't, the SD card doesn't recognize upon turning it back on. That pisses me off alot more than the 'penny' issue(a nickel works better!). Perhaps it's the tension spring that is meant to hold the card the connectors-thicker cards probably wouldn't have this problem, but there's no reason for that, IMO.

Still trying repair options- I'm not deleting anything UNTIL I know for certain that the photos are irrepairable, but hopefully I can salvage them. Hell, I'll even crop them if I've got to.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back