Pipe and tobacco-fi (a gentleman's hobby)
Jul 30, 2012 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17
Hey guys, i have recently got into this hobby. I will be buying this pipe within the next few weeks: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/kaprpiap.html, i was wondering if there were any head-fiers out there that like to relax with both their headphones their pipes at the same time or separate. I would also like to know the types of tobacco you fancy.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 17
I had a 3 star Brigham and a Peterson Rustic http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pestsypi313r1.html a truly amazing pipe, you have to get one!

Used to smoke Irish Mead by Douwe Egberts (amazing) till that became unavailable, then I switched to Borukum Riff Original.

These days now it's just Montecristo's or Romeo Y Julieta's instead, but I found the pipe to be a more personal and enjoyable time.

A rich coffee with a little rum in it out on the back deck, the sun just starting to set, your headphones on and a nice bowl lit. One of life's finer moments for sure!

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
Hey guys, i have recently got into this hobby. I will be buying this pipe within the next few weeks: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/kaprpiap.html, i was wondering if there were any head-fiers out there that like to relax with both their headphones their pipes at the same time or separate. I would also like to know the types of tobacco you fancy.

Heya,

Nice choice!

I have a lot of pipes these days and I smoke most of them in a rotation. I enjoy both classics and aromatics. Carter Hall, Kentucky Club Mixture, Paladin Black Cherry, Whitehall Black Tie are my go-to's.

I like big robust pipes with masculine lines and mostly non-smooth finishes. Some of my favorites come from Winslow and Savinelli.

Pipe I'm currently eyeing.

Pipes and hi-fi on the wide open sea? Yes sir.

Very best,

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 17
I think I'm going to also start a thread on e-cigs and personal vaporizers, as I use those to supplement my cigs. After trying several main brands, I've finally come across the best one which was just developed in May, and is quite a nice looking piece of equipment as well. The Vea, from Johnson Creek Smoke Juice. It's far and away the best personal vaporizer on the market, and they make the best flavors, right here in the U.S.

As far as tobacco goes, I don't really smoke pipes or cigars often but my cigs of choice are Camel Platinum and Marlboro Silver.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 17
I just received a tin of Dunhill Nightcap and a new Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe in the mail.
Just smoked a bowl listening to my Clip+, Ibasso amp and Audio Technica AD900's.
Head-fi and Pipe-fi.............A match made in Heaven!

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 17
I enjoy a nice cigar (arturo fuente, La Flor Dominicana) every now and again but can someone please explain the difference between a cheap corn pipe and a nice pipe besides aesthetics.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 17
Well after all this time of waiting and debating i finally got the money and I bought a Capri pipe and soem Black Paladin. First impression on the black paladin, I like it however I wish the flavor was more full but that was only after one bowl.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 17
Been a cigar smoker for years, but stumbled across two estate briar's on the 'bay that will get me pipe smoking again. A Comoy, and a Mastercraft/Seville. (have my eye on a Peterson Rocky Donegal too - another Billiard body).

These are on the way, plus a 4oz package of a Cavendish/Latakia/Orient blend I've been curious about. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 17
I'm interested to see what you have Applehead.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 17
tobacco, scotch and music are my favourite combo :)

I have been buying whole leaf tobacco cigar wrapper/filler leaves and making my own cubans which are truly amazing.
I have also been buying whole leaf flue cured virginia for my hand roll cigs, sometimes mixing in some burley, fire cured or turkish tobacco, im done with buying packs of cigs.
I do enjoy my peterson pipe but still have not got the hang of it. (get some tongue scorching)

btw if people are interested in buying whole leaf i know the american website is leafonly.com but i live in the uk so i use pureleaf.co.uk (am i allowed to post these links?)

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
I'm interested to see what you have Applehead.

I'll send you a PM.
I actually like to collect "good old days" stuff but never use it. The looks of the gear and the collecting itself is where I get the fun from. And then after years I sell things off again. 
I collect vintage HP calculators and computer mice among other things as well for example, but I'm about done with those too.
I have quite a few K Euro stuff I should put up for sale on eBay or somewhere else, I'm just pretty lazy when it comes to that, buying is a lot more fun. Bugs the hell out of the wife though. :p

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 17
I smoked pipes for about 25 years until I had Leukemia and a Bone Marrow Transplant. Having 1000 RADs of radiation as part of the treatment is a little hard on the lungs and my Oncologist made me quit. I have over 100 pipes (30 of them from Dunhill) and I'm saving them for after I outlive my Oncologist (and maybe my wife).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back