Pioneer's First Portable Amp XPA-700
Jan 10, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #31 of 155
Thanks for clarifying that. So what do you need a dac + amp for if you're only using it with, say an iPhone?

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #32 of 155
Thanks for clarifying that. So what do you need a dac + amp for if you're only using it with, say an iPhone?

iPhone, just like every smartphone and MP3 out there, has built-in DAC and amplifier. They are not of good quality since the space in a smartphone is limited. We want better, external DAC and amp, and want the iPhone to be a device only to store and control music. 

In order to get digital signal out of iphone, we need to use the line-out. 

So in a nutshell:

iPhone --> line-out (Not from the PO where you plug in earphones, but the LO where you sync and charge your device) --> external DAC --> external amp --> headphones

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #33 of 155
I've just bought XPA-700 from e-earphone today. been comparing it side-by-side with VentureCraft Go-Dap TT grey version for almost 2 hours.

At the end of the day I realised that I can't really go wrong with either, so I chose XPA-700 over Go-Dap TT. Below are my brief impressions.

Paired with my ESW10 modded:

Go-Dap TT has more sparkle and more bass impact, more spacious sound stage, brighter. However, I find the vocal rendered by Go-Dap TT to be comparatively thin sounding, and the overall tonality somewhat V-Shaped.

XPA-700, on the other hand, is warmer, with smoother and fullbodied vocal. It is undeniably more engaging of the two. Most importantly, it has incredible synergy with my modded ESW10, which is otherwise harsh and thin sounding when listening unamped.

Paired with Aedle VK-1:

This is when things get more tricky. Paired with Aedle VK-1, XPA-700 made the already rolled-off highs of VK-1 become even more so, thus resulting in a rather dull sound. I would say that the synergy of this set is rather poor.

For Go-dap TT, it adds liveliness and sparkle to VK-1. It also increases bass impact of VK-1 too. Sound stage noticeably become more spacious. However, both male and female sound thinner when compared to XPA-700.

I had a really hard time deciding which one to get. Eventually I decided to go with XPA-700 because it was such a perfect match for my ESW10. I already love the sound of my VK-1 even when listening directly from my iPhone 5, so it would be more suitable to use it on the go, when it is too much of a bother to connect to an amp.

Thank Starblue, without your review I would never have given this amp a go :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]

No problem mate, glad my post helped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #36 of 155
I got to hear the XPA-700 at a shop in Shinjuku - I actually ended up listening to it for a good hour or so. I'm surprised it's not getting more mentions around here!
I only had my old Shure E2C homebrews on me at the time, but I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of bass it managed to wrangle out of those... also felt like the midrange was really pleasant through this amp.

I have a buddy here in Seoul who has a unit that I can borrow, I'm going to do up some custom balanced cables with mini-XLR connectors so I can do some a/b testing with the balanced vs regular outputs.

May 17, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #37 of 155
Hello, been using the XPA 700 for almost two weeks now. Just wondering what IEMs work well with this amp. Currently am using an IE80 with it but I feel like it does need a little more volume.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #38 of 155
I have use it with iphone 5 also balance out to JVC FX850, my friend said, the x5+E12a, a set of very good sound quality set up with FX850, but the IP5+xpa700+fx850 is a high end set up.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #39 of 155
anyone compare this against the Oppo HA-2? I need to find a store in Seoul that has the Oppo... would love to hear how it stacks up.

I like the sound of the Pioneer, but that oppo is so nice and light...

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #40 of 155
I have both, for the sound quality, I much prefer the pioneer, especially it does have balance headphone out.

Aug 18, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #42 of 155
if you use a portable cd player that output a Toslink to the input of this XPA-700, would you notice a difference in sound quality:

1) without any portable amp

compares to

2) with the above portable amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back