Pioneer's First Portable Amp XPA-700
Dec 11, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #61 of 155
Hi all, very interesting amp and the street price looks very reasonable vs the pha-3 and ilk. Do you think this has enough juice to run big cans? I have the following, Fisher audio fa-003w (300ohm), hifiman he 400, incoming fostex th-x00.

And am I correct in reading from the earlier posts that it is not possible to use the USB in whilst mains powered? (presumably because the USB is the power in?)

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #65 of 155
  What is the name for the balanced headphone output from the XPA-700? 
Is it the RSA/ALO balanced connector?

Thanks in advance! 

customize_img14.jpg

From Pioneer Japan

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #66 of 155
  POST THREE - BATTERY LIFE

This isn't gonna take long. Sony PHA-3 is a winner, by 25%.

With full charge PHA-3 shelled out close to 6 hours. XPA-700 died some what past 4 hours. 

Above said, XPA-700 just needs a single USB cable to carry both audio and power with the option to turn off the charging. battery life is not such a big issue if you are using either unit as a desktop amp or have juice available before the unit dies however I can see the lesser battery life of XPA-700 a issue in some scenarios , example a flight from Tokyo to HK vs Tokyo to Singapore. Would suck to run out of juice when you are carrying all the portable gear with you.

Winner - Sony. Although 6 hours is not that much either.

More to follow.

starblue, in Post 4 you say " Note - all my listening is in pass through mode, no upsampling/enhancement/high gain applied." was that just to comment on sonic impressions or was that the way you tested the battery life as well, this amp really appeals to me but given I would be using it as a portable the battery  life seems quite short - I know its busy but still seems quite short.
Thanks in advance,
tiddlywinks

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #67 of 155
 POST THREE - BATTERY LIFE

This isn't gonna take long. Sony PHA-3 is a winner, by 25%.

With full charge PHA-3 shelled out close to 6 hours. XPA-700 died some what past 4 hours. 

Above said, XPA-700 just needs a single USB cable to carry both audio and power with the option to turn off the charging. battery life is not such a big issue if you are using either unit as a desktop amp or have juice available before the unit dies however I can see the lesser battery life of XPA-700 a issue in some scenarios , example a flight from Tokyo to HK vs Tokyo to Singapore. Would suck to run out of juice when you are carrying all the portable gear with you.

Winner - Sony. Although 6 hours is not that much either.

More to follow.

starblue, in Post 4 you say " Note - all my listening is in pass through mode, no upsampling/enhancement/high gain applied." was that just to comment on sonic impressions or was that the way you tested the battery life as well, this amp really appeals to me but given I would be using it as a portable the battery  life seems quite short - I know its busy but still seems quite short.
Thanks in advance,
tiddlywinks

I used no sonic enhancements coz that's how I like my music. But yes, It's true that the battery life was also judged with all sonic enhancement options turned off. I am really not sure if turning upsampling or other sonic enhancements on or off will have any significant impact on the battery life though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #68 of 155
Hi all, very interesting amp and the street price looks very reasonable vs the pha-3 and ilk. Do you think this has enough juice to run big cans? I have the following, Fisher audio fa-003w (300ohm), hifiman he 400, incoming fostex th-x00.

And am I correct in reading from the earlier posts that it is not possible to use the USB in whilst mains powered? (presumably because the USB is the power in?)

I have used it with Audeze LCD3, Senn HD800 and Fostex TH900, and although I had to crank up the volume knob quite a bit for the first two, I didn't find the amp lacking power to my liking, can't say for others. Further, I am using these headphones via unbalanced stereo output, balanced might be completely different!

Jan 2, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #69 of 155
I used no sonic enhancements coz that's how I like my music. But yes, It's true that the battery life was also judged with all sonic enhancement options turned off. I am really not sure if turning upsampling or other sonic enhancements on or off will have any significant impact on the battery life though.

Thanks for that.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #71 of 155
Question - has anyone found a decent carrying case for this amp ?

Not sure if it is same dimensions as the Onkyo DPX-1 but there is a picture of a case in a recent posting in that  thread FWIIW

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #72 of 155
Thanks Mate,

I've since picked up one of these and am still testing it with my day to day usage.

I've ordered a Powered OTG hub so lets see if i can get it to charge whilst getting a data stream in.

In the mean time am finding it more than powerful enough for my several phones including the hifiman HE400 and the 300ohm Fischer Audio FA-002Ws

so far am happy!

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #74 of 155
Thanks Mate,

I've since picked up one of these and am still testing it with my day to day usage.

I've ordered a Powered OTG hub so lets see if i can get it to charge whilst getting a data stream in.

In the mean time am finding it more than powerful enough for my several phones including the hifiman HE400 and the 300ohm Fischer Audio FA-002Ws

so far am happy!

Not sure what you mean by this. The USB output from your source device (which you use for data transfer) has enough juice to keep the player running, should you choose to keep the charge option on. I don't think you need anything extra or special for charging while listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back