Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
May 2, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #1,396 of 2,193
I will. Have to overcome my "burn in" skepticism too.

I remember when I had the Audioquest Nighthawk a lot of people seemed to have this epiphany after 150 hours burn in and they talked about this magical transformation in the sound. Like clouds disappearing. It became amusing after a while.

I will have an open mind though. People much more knowledgeable than me believe in it so you have to have faith.

May 2, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #1,398 of 2,193
My Z1R with WW Platinum were fairly unlistenable to me. Both were new with no hours. It took this combo 12 days of 24hrs a day to open up. Now I love this combo, just not as much as the SEM1 with WW.

Interesting post. I currently use the Utopia w/ Kimber Axios cables and have had a Z1R on demo for the past 3 weeks running balanced (using the supplied cable) into the Sony WM1Z. I wanted a closed back headphone which I could use when in the same room as my wife - one which didn't leak and which would not let the TV sound in.

I am about to return the Z1R as I am in a similar position to you - it just seems so difficult to listen to them while the Utopia remains here as an option. The difference is just too big.

What did the WW Platinum do to the Z1R's and how did they change? Is the change enough to get them closer to my Utopia's? Right now the difference is simply too large for me.

May 2, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #1,399 of 2,193
I think the problem is expecting a closed headphone to be like a Utopia. Never heard the Utopia but it's supposed to be the Mt Everest of dynamic headphones right now. Everything should fall short.

But I'm guilty of doing the same. The Z1R fell way behind when I got the Master1 and with the MrSpeakers Aeon coming I felt no need for it anymore.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #1,400 of 2,193
Exactly - that is the problem. Even though I have a need for a closed headphone nothing will compete with the Utopia and as long as they are in the house I will always reach for them.

Maybe the answer is to go back to something like the B&W P7W (which I had and loved). It is simple - wireless - and a fun headphone which will not make me think too hard about what I am listening to.

I still would like to hear from the original poster about how the WW Platinum changed the Z1R

May 2, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #1,401 of 2,193
Hi guys sorry for asking.
One question that got me crazy is....should I invest in the balanced xlr cable and its respective adapter for the single Xlr input ? Is it something that palpable in SQ? Only the cable is 260£ in U.K.

Thanks

May 2, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #1,402 of 2,193
I can't comment on the Z1R with the stock cable. I went through the burn in process with both the SEM1 and Ether Flow using both stock and the WW Platinum cables. In both cases I found it completely pointless to use the stock cable. When the Z1R showed up I never took the stock cable out of the box and started the burn in of the headphone and WW at the same time.

I too needed a closed headphone for certain occasions which is why I'm sticking with it. I do enjoy listening to them too. I took a 2 week break from the SEM1 and put those back in this week. Now it's hard to go back to the Z1R but I will at times.

I should note I also use a WW Platinum USB cable and WW Silver balanced interconnects. I'm going to replace the Silver with the Platinum soon.

With my Aries in place this week and no computer in the source chain it's hard to believe how good this is. I use a Violectric v281/v850 stack.

Can't comment on the Utopia since I've never heard them. Have no desire to since I know they can't touch the SEM1 in the lower region.

May 2, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #1,403 of 2,193
I guess you like Wireworld!

May 2, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #1,404 of 2,193
That's the one thing I would miss if I didn't have the Master1 - the bass. It's really remarkable the bass it can produce for an open headphone. Not sure it can be replicated.

How is the Ether flow? I've got the Aeon coming for my closed/portable headphone and looking forward to it. MrSpeakers seems like a cool, customer friendly company. Their e-stat coming out is intriguing.

May 2, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #1,406 of 2,193
I really am curious to see about the closed version of the Pioneer - Master5. I keep on Googling for feedback from last weekends Japanese headphone show however I cannot seem to find many reports.

I am very curious how it compares to the Sony. Maybe that is part of the reason why I will be sending the Sony back - sort of hoping

May 3, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #1,409 of 2,193
Master 1: Comfort, almost too much Bass, and soundstage.

I find the bass on the pioneer to sometimes be too much and over power the vocals and other instruments. The bass is a night and day difference, compared to stax L-700/009. Only weakness of electrostats is lack of bass. My preference is sem1 for drum, metal, and organ. Stax for everything else, such as piano, harp, and chamber music.

Go iems over closed back headphones IMO Don't waste your time with the Z1R

If I had to sell my Stax or master 1. I'd have to part ways with the master 1 due to its treble spike and bright sound signature compared to the Lr-700/009. I'd miss the bass and wide sound stage though haha

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #1,410 of 2,193
Ok so I guess I am opening up a can of worms asking about IEM's as an alternative to the Sony Z1R to use as a closed back addition to my Utopias

but

my last time with IEMS was 15 years ago with my ETYMOTICS ER4P's. Loved them (unfortunately now lost) however I no longer want deep insertion.

Which ones should I be looking at to go with the WM1Z?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back