Pioneer XDP-100R or Onkyo DP-X1
Dec 10, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #16 of 23
I got an exceptional deal on an Aune M2S, and am very happy with its performance - a significant improvement over the Fiio X5 II I had used before.

Regarding the XDP-100R and DP-X1, it seems they've undergone price drops at some relatively recent point, which closed the price gap between the two players significantly. Considering this, IMO you'd might as well just go for the DP-X1. I believe before it was like a $300 difference, maybe more, now it's like $100. I've never heard either myself, but from what I've read I believe if people thought the DP-X1 was worth the premium before, whereas others felt the XDP-100R was "good enough" for its price (which, iirc, was at least what the DP-X1 costs now, if not maybe a bit more), so yeah might as well get the DP-X1 otherwise, if you're like me or I suspect most people who are into this hobby, you'll get the 100R and be like "man for just $100 more I coulda got the X1...I mean the 100R is good, great even, but...the X1 is like having a 100R for each channel!"

Also, as a slightly more premium product from a decidedly more premium brand, the DP-X1 should carry its value better, should you ever decide to resell it. Not that the 100R is shoddy or anything, afaik they're basically the same design, just the X1 is dual amps and DACs while the 100R is single, and of course they are branded accordingly - the X1, being more premium, is Onkyo, while the 100R, being still fantastic but not quite as premium, is Pioneer.

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 23
Why is that?
I m looking for a dap too

I saw a review on the Cayin and ruled it out pretty quick. Has a pretty slow processor and not a lot of computing resources. Since half of the point of me getting an android based DAP was the idea that its android-based performance was reasonable, I decided not to go with the Cayin. 

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #19 of 23
It's certainly not just a $100 difference between the players. The cheapest you can buy a XDP-100R in new condition has been $400 for the past few weeks. The cheapest I've seen a DP-X1 is still in the $600 - $700 range. If anyone knows where to find one for less, I'd be quite grateful to know! 

Ok
Btw fiio is releasing the x5iii...worth a look

Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea!
Unfortunately after very minor research, I can conclude that won't be my next DAP solely due to it's limited 1GB of RAM. That just isn't enough for the Android OS if you're planning to do much else apart from music playing. Likewise I drew the same conclusion from the Cayin i5. 

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #20 of 23
It's certainly not just a $100 difference between the players. The cheapest you can buy a XDP-100R in new condition has been $400 for the past few weeks. The cheapest I've seen a DP-X1 is still in the $600 - $700 range. If anyone knows where to find one for less, I'd be quite grateful to know!

My bad you're right it's a $200 difference. Dpx1 is $600 on Amazon, 100r is $400. Dunno if the performance difference is worth $200...Curious how the aune m2 and m2 pro would stack up, even the m2s is more or less price competitive with the dp-x1.

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #21 of 23
Sorry for digging out an old thread but I had the same dillema few minutes ago and after searching the entire internet for some info it turns out that the Dual DAC setup in DP-X1 (or Pioneer 300R) is only used for balanced mode. When you use SE with X1 it only uses one DAC so it's the same as 100R (and ONKYO's support confirmed that after I asked them on FB)
I'm not planning to use balanced headphones in the near future so I'd go with Pionner, especially when in my country it's at 50% price of X1
Hope it helps

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #22 of 23
Newbie here. I think your post have made me decide what to go for. At first was consider about the Onkyo P90 too.
But without the need of stacking 2 gadget together and ability to stream online etc, I will go for the Pioneer..

May 10, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #23 of 23
Onkyo DP-X1

Why are so many people selling this dap?

If paired with a CHORD HUGO2 this would allow huge storage as a transport and allow use of TIDAL streaming on WiFi. Is there anything else out there with dual SD cards for use as a transport for the HUGO2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back