Pioneer XDP-100R or Onkyo DP-X1
Jan 13, 2016 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Pindi

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a good DAP but am torn between the the Pioneer XDP-100R and Onkyo DP-X1.  Aside from the dual DACs in the Onkyo, aesthetic and UI differences, is there anything between them?  I'm not likely to be using the the balanced output so would the dual DACs be at all beneficial over the Pioneer?  Or as an alternative, the Fiio X7?

The Pioneer is easy to buy now but the Onkyo won't be released in the US until April so here sometime after I'd assume.  Which do you guys reckon I should go for?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pindi

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 23
also interested to hear about this, also any comparisons to fiio x5ii.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 23
Have you tried to connect with external amplifier?? /in my case Oppo ha 2 / works very nice, this is crucial combo / partnership because internal ampl within Pioneer is not powerful... Pioneer on its own is very vey quite in terms of volume... Using very friendly headphones /fostex th 900 /... But Tidal is not for some reason able to stream when in connection with Oppo... Any advice on that?... Thank you... Internet connection is nightmare!!!! To not lose sanity I am hooked to Sony compact z3 instead router... Hope Pioneer will fix that somehow...

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 23
Dang, both DAPs are in the top 10 best DAPs. I'm also confused which DAP should I get, if ever. The Onkyo has dual DAC but do I really need a dual DAC. Most DAPs with single DAC and AMP already sounds good. However, the Onkyo DP-X1 can play video files as well as view image files. I'm really leaning towards the Onkyo instead of the Pioneer.

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 23
Have you tried to connect with external amplifier?? /in my case Oppo ha 2 / works very nice, this is crucial combo / partnership because internal ampl within Pioneer is not powerful... Pioneer on its own is very vey quite in terms of volume... Using very friendly headphones /fostex th 900 /... But Tidal is not for some reason able to stream when in connection with Oppo... Any advice on that?... Thank you... Internet connection is nightmare!!!! To not lose sanity I am hooked to Sony compact z3 instead router... Hope Pioneer will fix that somehow...

Re Tidal, when you connect the Ha2 does a pop-up appear asking whether to sync USB device? If so press cancel and play Tidal 

Mar 24, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 23
Already figured it out earlier, thanks anyway... Still experiencing lags when playing Tidal offline stored on memory card... Ordered new sandisk ultra reads up to 90 mb/s - hoping this might fixed the problem

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 23
I was excited to read about the pioneer XDP-100R in the head-fi review.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/pioneer-xdp-100r-k-black-32gb-portable-high-resolution-audio-player-japan-import

The onkyo  DP-X1 does look as though it is a step up.  I'm hoping to see some head-fi reviews about it.  The amazon reviews were very high, but i don't really go by those.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 23
Apologies for reviving a fairly old thread. I'll try to make my comment quite brief. 

I'm in the same situation as OP. I can acquire an XDP-100R for $400, or a DP-X1 for ~$600. 
If you don't mind me asking, which DAP did you guys end up choosing?

To my knowledge, the two are extremely similar, but supposedly the DP-X1 will shine just a hair more in the sound department with dual DACs. 
They also both run on Android 5.1.1, and would be capable of utilizing all of the apps that a smartphone generally would, correct?

Thank you for your time and consideration. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 23
Cayin i5 is another good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back