Pioneer SE-MONITOR5 - Pioneer's high-end closed-back
Sep 29, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #391 of 438
Imo, this graph could lead to a misinterpretation of how the SEM5 sounds.
This hardly doesn't reflect my experience with this headphone.
Don't know how to put the Neumann measurements to others. :thinking:

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #392 of 438
Imo, this graph could lead to a misinterpretation of how the SEM5 sounds.
This hardly doesn't reflect my experience with this headphone.
Don't know how to put the Neumann measurements to others. :thinking:
I hope so, but it is a graph that raises questions. May I ask how does the SE-Monitor5 compare to your ZMF VO?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #393 of 438
Since the SEM5 is out of home for 5 months now, i didn't had the opportunity to listen to them side by side.
Our brain is a misleading monster, so I won't dare to compare them out of memory. :wink:

Maybe I can share my thoughts at the end of november, when I'll had a fair listening to both.

What I dare to say is, that this wouldn't be a head to head comparison, not in any time I guess. ^^
But it can give a nice outlook on the different tonalities, which are set in stone at this point. :)

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #394 of 438
Since the SEM5 is out of home for 5 months now, i didn't had the opportunity to listen to them side by side.
Our brain is a misleading monster, so I won't dare to compare them out of memory. :wink:

Maybe I can share my thoughts at the end of november, when I'll had a fair listening to both.

What I dare to say is, that this wouldn't be a head to head comparison, not in any time I guess. ^^
But it can give a nice outlook on the different tonalities, which are set in stone at this point. :)
You are sensible and that's another reason to seek your impression here. :) So, is it safe to assume that the VO is a tier up compared to the SE? I ask because I found a cheap pair and was wondering if it's worth it; can't wait until November. :)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #395 of 438
The VO is an open back with a great 3 dimensional headstage one has to rival.
Depending the source it can be really smooth, or "aggressive".
Comfort is great, but it can't make you forget they're on your head.
My Ironwood VO ticks in at slightly above 620 grams, which could be quite heavy if you don't have the patient to wait for them to settle down, or your neck "acclimated" to their weight. ^^
So is the sound of the VO, with plenty of weight to the music, fast movement and lots of details. Very enjoyable.

Separation is great, but as i said, i can't make me compare them seriously to the SEM5.
It's simply a very different presentation.
More of a complementary headphone, I'd say.

If you can fund a VO, go for it.
You won't regret it, in all honesty. :)

Sitting here, listening to Icon for Hire with the VO, feed by the A-GD R28/ Tidal. :ok_hand:

Sep 29, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #396 of 438
The VO is an open back with a great 3 dimensional headstage one has to rival.
Depending the source it can be really smooth, or "aggressive".
Comfort is great, but it can't make you forget they're on your head.
My Ironwood VO ticks in at slightly above 620 grams, which could be quite heavy if you don't have the patient to wait for them to settle down, or your neck "acclimated" to their weight. ^^
So is the sound of the VO, with plenty of weight to the music, fast movement and lots of details. Very enjoyable.

Separation is great, but as i said, i can't make me compare them seriously to the SEM5.
It's simply a very different presentation.
More of a complementary headphone, I'd say.

If you can fund a VO, go for it.
You won't regret it, in all honesty. :)

Sitting here, listening to Icon for Hire with the VO, feed by the A-GD R28/ Tidal. :ok_hand:
I'm familiar with the glowing reviews of the VO/VC/Atrium trio but their price is very steep. I was hoping that the SE could provide a different but valid alternative.

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #397 of 438
Many thanks for that! The English Google-translated page is as follows:
https://www-kopfhoerer-de.translate...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

If this is the RAW version of the graph then I'm at a loss: It's so far away from the Harman curve that it looks like that the mids are overstated and the highs are severely underrepresented!
I am with you. This graph would stray way too far from my experience. I listen to SE-M5's daily (along with HIFIman Arya v2 and Quad Era-1). SE-M5's are very neutral. I boost the base (with IFI iDSD Micro BL), but the mids are perfect. The highs are definitely not suppressed! In fact, I use ZMF cowhide oval pads to tame them a bit. With these adjustments the SE-M5's sound amazing; they are very airy and detailed with a sound stage that beats the pants of Focal (open and closed) but is not as wide and layered as that of the Arya's (open). I am yet to hear closed monitors that would rival SE-M5.

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #398 of 438
I am with you. This graph would stray way too far from my experience. I listen to SE-M5's daily (along with HIFIman Arya v2 and Quad Era-1). SE-M5's are very neutral. I boost the base (with IFI iDSD Micro BL), but the mids are perfect. The highs are definitely not suppressed! In fact, I use ZMF cowhide oval pads to tame them a bit. With these adjustments the SE-M5's sound amazing; they are very airy and detailed with a sound stage that beats the pants of Focal (open and closed) but is not as wide and layered as that of the Arya's (open). I am yet to hear closed monitors that would rival SE-M5.
That's very interesting coming from a regular user of these headphones! So, I have to assume that the graph is either a compensated version of sorts or based on poor measurents. Would you say, then, that they do not sound muffled/veiled past 1KHz whatsoever? Are their upper mids and highs clear and well defined? How do they sound with their stocks pads (velour and pleather)?

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #399 of 438
That's very interesting coming from a regular user of these headphones! So, I have to assume that the graph is either a compensated version of sorts or based on poor measurents. Would you say, then, that they do not sound muffled/veiled past 1KHz whatsoever? Are their upper mids and highs clear and well defined? How do they sound with their stocks pads (velour and pleather)?
I hear no veiling past 1KHz, or anywhere else, for that matter. Clarity and resolution all the way through, but much smoother than the Arya's. (Quad Era-1's have some of that veiled feeling, but that is intentional I think, to make them mellow.) Stock pads are fine and make SE-M5's very resolving (too much so in the highs for my liking). They also sound too light in the bass for me, but that is again a matter of preference. With ZMF Oval cowhides and a bass boost all of these little shortcomings go away.

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #400 of 438
The graph presented is useless without comparisons - just like ALL graphs :wink:

When looking and comparing with another graph that everyone here should be familiar with (HD650), it is clear that their graphs are completely different to ANYTHING anyone here has probably seen before, myself included.

Their HD650 graph simply looks totally weird/wrong to most of us, I'm guessing.
BUT - now we have an idea of their graph 'scale' and the results their testing equipment produces.
1664457111142.png

So here is a photoshopped comparison of HD650 (red) overlayed with MONITOR5 (inverted to blue)

1664457290887.png

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #401 of 438
The graph presented is useless without comparisons - just like ALL graphs :wink:

When looking and comparing with another graph that everyone here should be familiar with (HD650), it is clear that their graphs are completely different to ANYTHING anyone here has probably seen before, myself included.

Their HD650 graph simply looks totally weird/wrong to most of us, I'm guessing.
BUT - now we have an idea of their graph 'scale' and the results their testing equipment produces.
1664457111142.png

So here is a photoshopped comparison of HD650 (red) overlayed with MONITOR5 (inverted to blue)

1664457290887.png
Well, I don't know what we can extrapolate from this comparison but I can see that SE run "circles" up and down the HD graph. :)

Sep 29, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #402 of 438
There is a ~3dB hump between 50Hz-100Hz and a very significant belly (up to -18dB at ~5KHz from the Harman curve!) between 1KHz and 10KHz; how do you fix that?!
https://jazztimes.com/reviews/products-and-gear/audio-files-the-harman-curve/
Anyway, they also come with an extra pair of (p)leather pads, have you tried them?
Yes I tried both. Also I went back to pleather several times during last year just to check and always coming back to Dekoni or Brainwavz real sheepskin. But of course I liked SEM5 from first listening with pleather pads but just after few minutes I started to wonder how to improve/change some things. The answer for me were different pads (and cable - to lesser degree).

However Harman is just a target. May be good for many but not for everyone.
Also I don't see a point to perfectly reach the target for every headphone. It would be boring.. Some like spicy other like sweet :)
But the type of changes I observe with mentioned aftermarket pads could move SEM closer to Harman? (less bass but with more control, speed, more vivid midrange and details but without adding sharpness of even reducing it in highs).

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #403 of 438
Well, I don't know what we can extrapolate from this comparison but I can see that SE run "circles" up and down the HD graph. :)
It looks like HD650 and SEM are quite similar with their measurements. The differences are rather small up to 3-4 dB except 20-30 Hz and 6-9 kHz. Assuming that this Kopfhoerer's measurements are at least consistent, Sennheiser is well known for close to neutral tuning and intimate vocals. So less energy in 1-5 kHz could just indicate that midrange is not so forward /close to listener as in HD650. Then 6-9 kHz peak can be responsible for more spacious and detailed sound in SEM. But I am just guessing. Charts are not my main interest.

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #404 of 438
It looks like HD650 and SEM are quite similar with their measurements. The differences are rather small up to 3-4 dB except 20-30 Hz and 6-9 kHz. Assuming that this Kopfhoerer's measurements are at least consistent, Sennheiser is well known for close to neutral tuning and intimate vocals. So less energy in 1-5 kHz could just indicate that midrange is not so forward /close to listener as in HD650. Then 6-9 kHz peak can be responsible for more spacious and detailed sound in SEM. But I am just guessing. Charts are not my main interest.
It’s certainly guesswork interpreting non-std graphs like these, but, you’re right, there is some (hopefully positive) idea looking at these two graphs of what one should expect from SEM5.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #405 of 438
Yes I tried both. Also I went back to pleather several times during last year just to check and always coming back to Dekoni or Brainwavz real sheepskin. But of course I liked SEM5 from first listening with pleather pads but just after few minutes I started to wonder how to improve/change some things. The answer for me were different pads (and cable - to lesser degree).

However Harman is just a target. May be good for many but not for everyone.
Also I don't see a point to perfectly reach the target for every headphone. It would be boring.. Some like spicy other like sweet :)
But the type of changes I observe with mentioned aftermarket pads could move SEM closer to Harman? (less bass but with more control, speed, more vivid midrange and details but without adding sharpness of even reducing it in highs).
The consensus, I guess, is that SEM5 output relatively “light” low frequencies and I’ve read that many found the pleather stock pads improving on it at the expense of scene width and/or clarity, but these are anecdotal statements so …grain of salt etc. I’ve got a pair of oval Brainwaz sheepskin used on my SHR1540 and they sound wonderful, and switching the stock pads on my Pandora Hope VI to Type A made them sound immensely better. The truth is that pads do make a very significant difference, without a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back