Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Aug 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #498 of 1,082
Hey,
I just found out about these during my pursuit for budget headphones and after reading some comments here It seems my pursuit has come to an end :p
Before I buy them I would like to ask a few questions.
At the 60 euro mark I have found 3 headphones which, according to my knowledge of headfi reviews, are good at this price range. The Superlux 681 Evo, and sennheiser 439/449.
After reading this thread I can only assume these are great value for money but would like to know the impressions of someone who have tried both the a1000 and any of those. 
Thanks in advance and sry if comparing these is just too absurd xD

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #499 of 1,082
Quote:
Hey,
I just found out about these during my pursuit for budget headphones and after reading some comments here It seems my pursuit has come to an end :p
Before I buy them I would like to ask a few questions.
At the 60 euro mark I have found 3 headphones which, according to my knowledge of headfi reviews, are good at this price range. The Superlux 681 Evo, and sennheiser 439/449.
After reading this thread I can only assume these are great value for money but would like to know the impressions of someone who have tried both the a1000 and any of those. 
Thanks in advance and sry if comparing these is just too absurd xD

I just bought the Superlux 681 EVO, and it sounds great even through my crappy phone. The Pioneers don't sound right through my phone, so I'm waiting on my dac/amp to see how both do.

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #500 of 1,082
I really love these cans.  They are in my opinion the greatest deal in phones, however they couldnt be my only pair.  sometimes i need more bass so i am happy i have darth beyers from headphile.com

i could be convinced to get rid ofmy he-500s as i find these two pairs satisfy my headphone needs.

if i was to do it all again i would buy the pioneers and the jvc's and call it a headphone day and have saved THOUSANDS!

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #501 of 1,082
Quote:
I really love these cans.  They are in my opinion the greatest deal in phones, however they couldnt be my only pair.  sometimes i need more bass so i am happy i have darth beyers from headphile.com

i could be convinced to get rid ofmy he-500s as i find these two pairs satisfy my headphone needs.

if i was to do it all again i would buy the pioneers and the jvc's and call it a headphone day and have saved THOUSANDS!

Yes, that HE-500 is a horrible, horrible headphone. It's the absolute pits. You'll never get any money from it because nobody would buy that bit of rubbish. What you need to do is box that sucker up and send it to me (PM me for my address). I'd be happy to take that turd off your hands for free, since I know you'll have a hard time getting rid of it otherwise. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #503 of 1,082
Its my favorite headphone for sure!  It plays everything well.  BUT i think that with a combination incluiding the pioneers and a more bassy headphone id be happy.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #504 of 1,082
Quote:
Its my favorite headphone for sure!  It plays everything well.  BUT i think that with a combination incluiding the pioneers and a more bassy headphone id be happy.

Can the bass be improved with EQ and bass boost?  I like bass to be low and tight with slam (sub-bass) and no muddiness.  Of the headphones I own, my current favorite in the bass department is the Superlux HD681 with the CAL! in close second.  Speaking of CAL!, how does the Pioneer compare to them in terms of clarity, instrument separation, and detail?  Thanks!

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #505 of 1,082
Quote:
Can the bass be improved with EQ and bass boost?  I like bass to be low and tight with slam (sub-bass) and no muddiness.  Of the headphones I own, my current favorite in the bass department is the Superlux HD681 with the CAL! in close second.  Speaking of CAL!, how does the Pioneer compare to them in terms of clarity, instrument separation, and detail?  Thanks!

Hah, this post is like Deja Vu. The Pioneers outresolve the CAL!s by a significant margin, the soundstage is more open, transparent and detailed. I do wear CAL!s when I walk my dog, and the bass output always puts a smile on my face... but, the overall presentation is significantly veiled, compared to the Pioneers.

Aug 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #506 of 1,082
Quote:
I just bought the Superlux 681 EVO, and it sounds great even through my crappy phone. The Pioneers don't sound right through my phone, so I'm waiting on my dac/amp to see how both do.

Have you tried them on a regular pc (with onboard soundcard). Thats where I will be using the cans most and was wondering if they need to be paired with a soundcard to sound at least good.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #507 of 1,082
Quote:
Have you tried them on a regular pc (with onboard soundcard). Thats where I will be using the cans most and was wondering if they need to be paired with a soundcard to sound at least good.

They sound better on my Nexus 7, where the soundstage opened up much more over my Nexus 4. I won't know if they truly open up with more power until I get the amp/dac, which is on its way. Compared to my Bluedio R+ which is a bass monster and has a headphone amplifier inside them, the Pioneers are woefully anemic in bass at the moment. Imaging and clarity is top notch however.

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #508 of 1,082
Can anyone tell me how the mids are on these headphones? I heard they are amazing but are they slightly forward and engaging? I really prefer neutral headphones that have a forward and lively/sweet mid range and these were recommended. Right now I have the Ht-21 and they sound pretty amazing for the price.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #510 of 1,082
pioneers dont need an amp at all ROFL. They sound just as good out of my SGS Victory as it does out of my dedicated home rig.

If that is the case, then something is wrong with mine, or these have anemic response under 100hz. There is literally nothing there. No bass whatsoever, in any form. The mids and highs are crystal clear, yet it feels like a crossover cut off any and all low end. I thought it was just because they needed more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back