Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Jul 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #481 of 1,082
That's weird cuz I find the grados plenty fast enough. I do listen to a lot of punk though but even faster songs it sounds great to me. The pioneers doesn't seem to keep up but maybe we have different tastes.

You're the first person I've come across to say grados aren't good for rock, but to each his own

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #482 of 1,082
For rock, they're great. I don't listen to rock, though. I listen to extremely busy, and techical metal.

Like I said before, though. I love how punk sounds on my grados.

Seriously, try listening to Beneath the Massacre, Origin, or Ever Forthright. Everything gets lost in the mix with SR60. Even 225i/325i struggle. The Pioneer's have amazing positional accuracy.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #483 of 1,082
Then let me be the second. I didn't really enjoy the SR225i for much apart from 80s pop and, oddly enough, small ensemble choral (they had an intimate presentation that was pretty awesome). I found them a bit shouty for rock, and the coloration didn't really work for me. Overall, genre coverage just wasn't broad enough for what was at the time going to be my main headphone, so back they went.

Shame, though. I can't remember having more fun listening to something than when I was jumping around like an absolute nut to the best the 80s had to offer. And I don't really even like the 80s all that much, so those Grados did something magical. I've never heard a midrange quite like that before or since, and the sense of energy and speed was amazing.

These Pioneers had better be damned good if they're going to top that.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #485 of 1,082
I'm in for one, cuz why not. I've had good luck with crowd-favourite $60 cans before (V6, RP600, now my CAL!). Just got rid of a pair of SR325is so we'll see how these measure up. I've got high hopes, will report back here with my impressions in a few days.

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #486 of 1,082
Quote:
I'm in for one, cuz why not. I've had good luck with crowd-favourite $60 cans before (V6, RP600, now my CAL!). Just got rid of a pair of SR325is so we'll see how these measure up. I've got high hopes, will report back here with my impressions in a few days.

I also have the CAL! and the Pioneers out-resolve them by some ridiculous margin that I personally cannot describe it in words. 
L3000.gif

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #489 of 1,082
I bit and just ordered one. I know firsthand how Pioneer can knock it out of the park with high quality sound at low prices. (FS-52)

Looks like an old design (2007), but considering they used to be $200, and that I just grabbed them for $50, lets see how they match up to my Bluedios and Monoprice 8323. Good sound never gets obsolete.

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #490 of 1,082
Quote:
I bit and just ordered one. I know firsthand how Pioneer can knock it out of the park with high quality sound at low prices. (FS-52)

Looks like an old design (2007), but considering they used to be $200, and that I just grabbed them for $50, lets see how they match up to my Bluedios and Monoprice 8323. Good sound never gets obsolete.

Pft. You're about to be blown away. I'm very much comparing these pretty favourably to my 325s! The Monoprice don't stand a chance.

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #491 of 1,082
Quote:

Pft. You're about to be blown away. I'm very much comparing these pretty favourably to my 325s! The Monoprice don't stand a chance.

I'm on a headphone kick lately. I actually loved my Crossfade LPs that I sold awhile ago, and wasn't really looking for headphones again until I bought the new Monoprice Bluetooth cans. They are rebadges of the Bluedio R, and I really like them. I liked them so much, I bought the R+ aptx/nfc version.

The Pioneers would be excellent wired complements it seems, because the Bluedio/Monoprice have the same bass heavy sound signature as my old LPs. Dubstep/deep bass - Monoprice, everything else - Pioneer.

The V-Moda M-100s are what I'm looking at next, but not until some sort of sale happens.

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #494 of 1,082
I like this headphones very much. I want to know how do they compare with Audio Technica AD900X. Has someone tried both? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back