Pioneer SE-450
Nov 20, 2006 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Lime Cat

100+ Head-Fier
I've been meaning to ask about these and finally got around to dip in the pool of infinite wisdom of Headfi with these phones.

So, I bought these some time ago from a fleamarket and I'm pondering if there's anyone else who has these? And how are they considered generally? Total crap or something else? Thank you.

Nov 20, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the SE-450 is a legend of sorts, based on early adoption by DJ's because of their sturdiness. Found this link that may be of interest.

Thanks. Actually I've read that link before, couldn't get it to work when posted opening though. Works now. They're sturdy fo' sizzle.

Nov 21, 2006 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 16
I have a pair, and indeed they were the ultimate cheap DJ / Radiostudio phones. They go really loud and you can't break 'em... Well, maybe when you get a hammer.

I've had mine for about 7 or 8 years now I think. The foam on the inside of the cans is completely ruined by now, and one of the pads is torn. The sound isn't that good tho. They're easily driven, and they resonate quite a bit... Which I think got worse over the years, but that could just be me noticing it more. I'd call the sound powerful and crisp. Comfort is pretty good for me too.

They're great cans if you need to use 'em in loud places and/or need isolation rather than soundstage and air. I also think they have somewhat bloated mids.

Nov 21, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lime Cat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Actually I've read that link before, couldn't get it to work when posted opening though. Works now. They're sturdy fo' sizzle.

Heheh... fo' sizzle. Those Pioneers double as frying pans, too?
Thats a unique headphone idea....

I've heard of "'fo' shizzle" but it still doesn't sound any better.
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heheh... fo' sizzle. Those Pioneers double as frying pans, too?
Thats a unique headphone idea....

I've heard of "'fo' shizzle" but it still doesn't sound any better.
tongue.gif

Well, fo' shizzle is the accurate spelling, you're right. But I promise not to use it any more, fo' rizzle!

Nov 21, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how do they sound compared to your ATs and AKGs?

I remembered these being "fun" headphones before I did direct comparison to my ATs and AKGs. The bloated bass of these that I heard now doesn't make them fun anymore. Also the both ends of the range are recessed. So the bass isn't really even extended just bloated. You know like in speakers when you have to stuff foam in the reflex ports to tame the bass. And I think that mids gets juggernauted by the powerful but sloppy bass. No soundstage at all.

These are just opinion found by quick comparison, I'm not to say that these are total waste. Especially when I paid just 20 bucks (15€) for them and they're in mint condition. Still, the domination of low rate bass is quite a problem. Maybe for some type of music it isn't.

Nice piece of headphone history and a good reminder how much closed headphone have evolved.

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 16
Not to resurrect an old thread but I just bought a pair of these at a garage sale for $3.00 They aren't the greatest sounding things I've ever heard but they aren't bad and will do as a backup pair for when my AKG's are in the shop, like now. Still better than the Sennheiser HD500's I had.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 16
i just got an se-550. i like it- obviously a dj type sound with the mid bass hump

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 16
Dudes I have this from some 30 years ago.. it used to be my toy as a baby, and it still lives! Except for the thin foam layer that covers the drivers that came off and is now lost, must say its a tank. And it doesn't sound that bad either. Brings back memories, this one.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #13 of 16
I actually prefered their sound to Monitor 10. Sadly they didnt fit well on my head, and I made a birthday present for my friend
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeckyllAndHyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually prefered their sound to Monitor 10. Sadly they didnt fit well on my head, and I made a birthday present for my friend
smily_headphones1.gif

How they compare to the Monitor 10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back