Pioneer SE-405
Jan 13, 2008 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BrokenEmpires

New Head-Fier
I found these headphones in my house (don't know who they belong to) and was wondering if you guys had any info on them. When I google them all I find is an e-bay page and garbage. They look old and they weigh about 9 pounds. I took them apart once and noticed there were two speakers in each side. I can't find them right now (they're in the garage). But I remember they had a decent sound (this was 2 years ago). Here are some photos.

010f_1.JPG
00d7_1.JPG

0085_1.JPG
0159_1.JPG

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 4
I had a pair of SE-305 which are almost the exact same model physically, except for it hasn't got the metal knobs on bottom. It sounded alright as it was one of my first headphones, but it was heavy and uncomfortable after extended use.

Dec 29, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenEmpires /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found these headphones in my house (don't know who they belong to) and was wondering if you guys had any info on them. When I google them all I find is an e-bay page and garbage. They look old and they weigh about 9 pounds. I took them apart once and noticed there were two speakers in each side. I can't find them right now (they're in the garage). But I remember they had a decent sound (this was 2 years ago). Here are some photos.

010f_1.JPG
00d7_1.JPG

0085_1.JPG
0159_1.JPG

I am listening to a pair as I type this. I got them in '73 making them about 36 years old and they still sound great. I've used them all these years and am now just looking for a new pair to replace them. I imagine cans have improved over the years.
k701smile.gif

They retailed for about $80 new which is about $450 today so they were a high end option in their day. I'll type the specs from the sheet:
Speakers: Polyester cone - 1/34 inch
Impedance: 8 ohms
Matching Impedance: 4-16 ohms
Freq response: 20-20k Khz
Sound pressure level: 113dB
Maximum Input: 500mW/channel
Cord Length: 16 feet, coiled
Weight: 1 lb 1 oz
Volume controls are wire-wound and are a little scratchy but not an issue if you don't overly mess with them.
I've loved them all these years and will hang on to them. They are relatively heavy but I can wear them for hours without a problem. I can't even remember how good they should sound...been running them through an old Aiwa 40 watt shelf system that butchers the sound. The source is a hard drive running through a 5 year old entry level sound card with a 1/8" out that connects to a cord that splits into two RCA jacks. So, given the situation, they sound very good. I plan on getting a NAD integrated amp and substantially upgrading the sound card and cables soon so I'll see if they still have what it takes.

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 4
I just bought a pair on Saturday from a Pawn Shop in toronto... for 30$... They are great, for the 30$ I paid :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back