Pioneer Private XDP-20 || ESS ES9018C2M || Dual SD Card || Bluetooth || WiFi || DSD || MQA || 2.5 mm Balanced
Mar 13, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #34 of 36
Well I tried out the XDP-02U for a few days and to put it simply I had an issue with the file transfer in which the computer would not recognise the player at all. So sent it back.

I did love being able to get all my music on the two SD cards but must say that I was not impressed much with the sound. With its very emotionless, boring and very unforgetable across jazz, blues, funk soul and rock etc analytical maybe and distant.

This is very interesting for me as I did enjoy the onkyo DP-X1 which is very similar with almost identical DAC and op-amp chips. The DP-X1 was only lacking really in the top end which I feel sounds a bit harsh and abrasive that player was very dynamic and lovely in its sound yet not too much so.

I also compared the sound of the XDP-02U to my very old hippo gumstick player with class-a op amp and imediately felt more happy! Maybe thats color I dont know but it felt more True representation

The music felt like music where as this little Pioneer DAP felt lifeless and unforgetable on both my headphones (they are a bit cheap but still)

So there we go im sure others will love it but for me its a blend in the background kind of lifeless sound! Maybe the Onkyo DP-X1 had a better power supply etc giving it more dynamics.

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #35 of 36
Well I tried out the XDP-02U for a few days and to put it simply I had an issue with the file transfer in which the computer would not recognise the player at all. So sent it back.

I did love being able to get all my music on the two SD cards but must say that I was not impressed much with the sound. With its very emotionless, boring and very unforgetable across jazz, blues, funk soul and rock etc analytical maybe and distant.

This is very interesting for me as I did enjoy the onkyo DP-X1 which is very similar with almost identical DAC and op-amp chips. The DP-X1 was only lacking really in the top end which I feel sounds a bit harsh and abrasive that player was very dynamic and lovely in its sound yet not too much so.

I also compared the sound of the XDP-02U to my very old hippo gumstick player with class-a op amp and imediately felt more happy! Maybe thats color I dont know but it felt more True representation

The music felt like music where as this little Pioneer DAP felt lifeless and unforgetable on both my headphones (they are a bit cheap but still)

So there we go im sure others will love it but for me its a blend in the background kind of lifeless sound! Maybe the Onkyo DP-X1 had a better power supply etc giving it more dynamics.

Hi!

Did you use the balanced output? Do the 02U reproduce DSD natively or this convert to PCM? Did yout test mqa formats?

Regards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back