Pioneer A-335 strong enough to run HD650?
Dec 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cammac88

New Head-Fier
I have been procrastinating over the past few weeks if it's worth upgrading from my current set of HD555's to the HD650's. I've been running the 555's for over 2 years now on my trusty Pioneer A-335, granted it's not a dedicated headphone amp but its done a stand up job so far. My question is will it be able to cope with the HD650's or will I be wasting my money. I don't ever expect the Pioneer will be able to push the 650's that far, I just want to be a decent listening experience and no damage to equipment thanks.

Specifications of the Pioneer:

Power output: 40 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.02%
Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)
Signal to noise ratio: 73dB (MM), 86dB (line)
Output: 150mV (line)

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 6
I am not sure what you mean by "will it be able to cope with the HD650's". You mention that this is a 40 watt amp. There must be something very wrong with the amp for you to making this comment. The output swing would be 18V and I am quite sure that this amplifier would drive a 300 ohm headphone with 1 watt and cause you some serious ear damage.

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the reply. The reason I'm asking is because the Amp isn't a dedicated headphone amp and I've read that the 650's can be hard to drive. From what you've said it seems I am all set to get the 650's.

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the reply. The reason I'm asking is because the Amp isn't a dedicated headphone amp and I've read that the 650's can be hard to drive. From what you've said it seems I am all set to get the 650's.

Don't assume it will not work because it is not a dedicated headphone amp. There are a lot of dedicated headphone amps out there that to me are over priced and under featured.

Some people are so obsessed about dedicated headphone amping that they will pay more than $100 for a little amp that they put between a source like their computer and their headphones because of the ingrained belief that their computer can not drive their headphones. In many cases this is a complete waste of money and may actually sound worse than taking the sound straight out of the computer.

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 6

Don't assume it will not work because it is not a dedicated headphone amp. There are a lot of dedicated headphone amps out there that to me are over priced and under featured.

Some people are so obsessed about dedicated headphone amping that they will pay more than $100 for a little amp that they put between a source like their computer and their headphones because of the ingrained belief that their computer can not drive their headphones. In many cases this is a complete waste of money and may actually sound worse than taking the sound straight out of the computer.

Very accurate response, Hooster. I could not have said it better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Kindest regards

Nico

Users who are viewing this thread

Back