PINT Observations
Apr 2, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #76 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
I didn't have too much trouble other than on the op-amps, and even then managed to do that OK. I just can't figure out what's wrong with it. I don't have the power reversed, I don't have the ferrites missing, and I don't have anything bridged. So...what the heck is going on!
frown.gif

Also note, I was getting no audio through whatsoever.

Double check the directions of the diode/diodes? First thing that came to mind.

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #77 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69CamaroSS396
Double check the directions of the diode/diodes? First thing that came to mind.

Been there, done that. Checked three times now on it. You put the stripe where the arrow points towards, right?

In this picture, that isn't the case, though, with the diode parallel to the long edge of the board:

assy-4.jpg

However, if I look at tangent's tutorial, he seems to mount it _opposite_ of the way shown in this picture...so I don't know what to think now. It may be worth noting that the other diode, even in this picture, is mounted in a manner consistent with the tutorial...so I don't know what the deal is.

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #78 of 103
Quote:

Been there, done that. Checked three times now on it. You put the stripe where the arrow points towards, right?

In this picture, that isn't the case, though, with the diode parallel to the long edge of the board:

assy-4.jpg

However, if I look at tangent's tutorial, he seems to mount it _opposite_ of the way shown in this picture...so I don't know what to think now. It may be worth noting that the other diode, even in this picture, is mounted in a manner consistent with the tutorial...so I don't know what the deal is.

The diode on the edge of the board is backwards, it appears to me.

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #79 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69CamaroSS396
The diode on the edge of the board is backwards, it appears to me.

Okay, so that means I had my diode correctly positioned, then, since mine was opposite the direction of the one in that picture.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #80 of 103
Quote:

I think that the board that Tangent was in his tutorial was a different board than the one in the step-by-step assembly guide. That was a prototype, so the diode might have been correctly placed in both of the pictures because the diode in the prototype board was probably meant to be placed in the opposite direction than the diode in your picture from tangent's site. This is just a guess. I could be wrong, though.

Apr 3, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #81 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by newtoamps
I think that the board that Tangent was in his tutorial was a different board than the one in the step-by-step assembly guide. That was a prototype, so the diode might have been correctly placed in both of the pictures because the diode in the prototype board was probably meant to be placed in the opposite direction than the diode in your picture from tangent's site. This is just a guess. I could be wrong, though.

Well I just emailed him about it and he said that it was indeed backwards, so I guess he's going to update that picture with the correct configuration.

Although, that leaves me once again guessing what went wrong on mine.

Apr 5, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #82 of 103
Hello!

I have ordered five PINT kits, and all the parts necessary from Digi-Key, and a few from Mouser.

I have buitl two so far, leaving the last 3 to experiment. I am no electronic expert, and I blew a cmoy and a mint already.

This time, however, all seems to be working great. Turned the pot to "on", iPod shuffle plugged in, cheap headphones in out, with one alcaline "everyready" to feed the whole thing.

Great sound! I am quite impressed with myself, considering my previous mishaps.

One caveat: the volume does not vary. Is this normal?

I used the exact components required by Tangent, no mods, except I had added C3 and C6. I removed those, and I have the same phenomenon. But I remarked one thing: as I turned the non-existent volume up, the soundstage seemed to expand!

Am I dreaming here? Any ideas?

I also observe the hiss in the background, but I have not removed the caps yet, as I would have to order more resistors, and I prefer to wait until I "master" the basic model first, then move on tinkering.

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #83 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast
Hello!

I have ordered five PINT kits, and all the parts necessary from Digi-Key, and a few from Mouser.

I have buitl two so far, leaving the last 3 to experiment. I am no electronic expert, and I blew a cmoy and a mint already.

This time, however, all seems to be working great. Turned the pot to "on", iPod shuffle plugged in, cheap headphones in out, with one alcaline "everyready" to feed the whole thing.

Great sound! I am quite impressed with myself, considering my previous mishaps.

One caveat: the volume does not vary. Is this normal?

I used the exact components required by Tangent, no mods, except I had added C3 and C6. I removed those, and I have the same phenomenon. But I remarked one thing: as I turned the non-existent volume up, the soundstage seemed to expand!

Am I dreaming here? Any ideas?

I also observe the hiss in the background, but I have not removed the caps yet, as I would have to order more resistors, and I prefer to wait until I "master" the basic model first, then move on tinkering.

THe hiss is normal with the default gain resistors and input caps. You can reduce the hiss by changing the gain resistors and jumpering the input caps with 1k ohms resistors. Although, I think volume should vary with the twisting of the pot.

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #84 of 103
Quote:

as I turned the non-existent volume up, the soundstage seemed to expand!

The pot or input wires are not connected correctly. If you're using the standard RK097 pot, then I would look for shorts, or swapped I* wires.

Apr 6, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #85 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
The pot or input wires are not connected correctly. If you're using the standard RK097 pot, then I would look for shorts, or swapped I* wires.

Well here it goes:

I desoldered the pot (took me an hour) and put a new one. The volume worked better, but one channel was missing when turning it down. Maybe I did something crazy, but I added some solder to the leads of the pot, while listening, and "bang" the whole thing balanced!

Bloody fantastic! I am very happy with the end result. Love the sound, even though there is hiss. Proud of making through this one. Thank you for the advice! Thank you making the PINT available as well!

Now, I need to make a case for this one, then 4 more to play with!

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #86 of 103
Quote:

I added some solder to the leads of the pot, while listening, and "bang" the whole thing balanced!

This sounds like a soldering technique problem. Based on your symptom, I'll bet that you didn't heat the ground leads well enough and got a cold joint. (Your symptom suggests a floating ground.) If it took you less than about 5 seconds each to do those two joints, you probably didn't do it right.

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #87 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
This sounds like a soldering technique problem. Based on your symptom, I'll bet that you didn't heat the ground leads well enough and got a cold joint. (Your symptom suggests a floating ground.) If it took you less than about 5 seconds each to do those two joints, you probably didn't do it right.

Obviously, there were a few on the pot's leads.

They are all little shiny pyramids now...

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #88 of 103
Just a quick question about RoHS compliancies...
Does it matter if the resistors are lead free or not because I can only find a 1.33kOhm resistor that is lead free.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #89 of 103
I used all lead-free. They work fine.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #90 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
Just a quick question about RoHS compliancies...
Does it matter if the resistors are lead free or not because I can only find a 1.33kOhm resistor that is lead free.

It only matters if you are a company and is building product to sell, which obligates you to comply with the RoHS laws in effect in certain countries. For DIY work it's not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back